Specify Running Container on Backup Page from Env Vars in yml file

Proposed Plugin: discourse-container-names.git

What would you like done?

I would like a simple plugin which displays the container name(s) on the backups page, as follows (example):

The name of the container should come from environmental variable(s) in the yml file, as follows:

Application Notes:

1. The name of the container must come from the environmental variable(s) as shown in the image above (not from docker ps, for example)

2. In the case where there is a data container and a application container, it would be nice to have the name of the data container as well:

• Container: app #basic standalone name example
  • Containers: socket-only, data #basic two container setup example
  1. The reason for this is that we run multiple app containers, and I want to always know which container is running when looking at the admin pages, and in particular the backup page (per the first image).

When do you need it done?

Anytime. No hurry. Seems like a very simple plugin for Discourse plugins experts. It’s just a “nice to have” for the admin backup page and I’m not motivated to write it myself, so happy to pay someone a reasonable fee to do it!

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

Feel free to PM me.

The plugin should be made freely available to the Discourse community at large in case there are other Discourse sys admins who run multiple containers and wish to see the name of the current running container in the backup page of the admin panel; or for anyone who wants to see the name of their running container (even if in standalone mode) on the backups page.

6 Likes