Start failed, address already in use

Hello,
I can’t see my discourse page at the usual page (ceprovamos.tk), I can see only the default Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page.

I had forgotten to pay the cloud service and they stopped my server. Then I payed and restarted the server. Now my discourse disappeared and I can see only this default page, advising me to replace the file /var/www/html/index.html, but I don’t know how.
Obviously before this inconvenient Discourse was working perfectly.

If I do
cd /var/discourse/launcher start app
the answer is:
Error response from daemon: Cannot start container app: failed to create endpoint app on network bridge: Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use Error: failed to start containers: [app]

As you noticed I have a quite poor knowledge of website administration…

It seems they reset the vhosts as well. Go check either Apache or Nginx settings in /etc/.

And what should I do? I don’t have idea…! To install discourse I’ve just followed the official guide accurately. I never edited any settings of Apache or anything else :worried:

I might be wrong, but it looks like you might need some 101 on VPS management. I guess you have two choices:

• Learn to configure Apache and/or Nginx on your VPS
  • Use Discourse’s $99 one time installation option
1 Like

Solved.
I simply removed index.html file and index.nginx-debian.html file in /var/www/html, and I removed apache2 and nginx. Now my Discourse forum runs again.

Probably I installed apache2 and nginx months ago trying to host more discourse forums on one server. And when my hosting service stopped my server something was reset as you said…

2 Likes

And if you want to host multiple Discourse instances, use multisite.

1 Like