Starting a new Discourse community with old database

unsupported-install

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #3

No, I don’t. Barely added or configured anything. But is there still a way possible?

(David Taylor) #4

I am not familiar with the Bitnami image, so I can’t say for sure. Do you still have access to the Postgres database in some way?

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #5

No, I don’t too. But I can get access to it or find my way around it. And besides, I think I took a screenshot when I initially installed the software but not later. So can any of this?

(Robby O'Connor) #6
  • Backup old site, download backup
  • bring up new site
  • Restore from backup
  • ???
  • ???
  • PROFIT11111!!!

If this isn’t possible, don’t use unsupported install methods.

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #7

Hello @robbyoconnor, I think I understand your point to the third one but got lost with the multiple ??? And Profit 11111… If you don’t mind, can you be more specific? I’ll appreciate.

(Stephen) #8

Safe to ignore everything after #3

(Sam Saffron) #9

My recommendation here would be to restart your community from scratch with a supported install and ensure you enable automatic backups to s3 this time

I appreciate that losing two weeks is not fun, but given you are struggling to get access to your data… there is not much we can do

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #10

Hi Sam, thanks for your candid reply. I think I might just do that and throw some apologies in the air to the people who started with me for the fun 2 weeks we had. Besides, Discourse has been fun, though.

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #11

Yeah, nice opinion. But think I’d be taking @Sam 's opinion. That’d be ‘too long’ a try for something that may not work. So starting a new one from scratch would be better. Just wish I had stared earlier than wasting half a week hoping to hold enough water in a basket.

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #12

Went through the supported installation details for AWS, but unfortunately, it’s not the official documen from the Discourse Team. And then surfed through the web and was able to come up with this that gives detailed instruction about installing Discourse on AWS using supported instances from Discourse. So just for the asking and staying on the safer side, is this install method going to give me the supported Discourse software? I’d love to hear your opinion, @Sam?

(Just another happy Discourse user) #13

I’m not sure if you have actually looked at the official Discourse install guide which is the only supported install method I’ve heard of.

Other users have referred you to it in your other topic, e.g. this reply:

You will see on other topics that AWS/Bitnami installs are not supported although people may still be able to help you, e.g. as in this topic:

FYI, here is some background on the AWS install guide that you found.

The blog owner is a user here, @stroupaloop, although I haven’t seen him posting for a while.
He had a couple of topics on AWS that I read when i first joined:

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #14

Wow, thanks a bunch for this Remah. I actually saw an installation guide here on Meta about installing on Amazon; not with Bitnami, but from scratch. So whilst I wouldn’t call that the official install guide, I believe the installation process still installs Discourse the normal way it was meant to be installed-with Docker. The installation guide is here on Meta, and will link to it once I’m done with this post. (I’m on mobile)
Edit: This is the install guide I was referring to.
So a quick one:
What do you think?

1. Install a new community using the guide I now shared its link or
  2. Starting a New Digital Ocean droplet.
    And note: I have over $1k in my Amazon credit. The only reason I’d paid for that is because of Discourse hosting for about two or three years, depending on the resources I use.
    But paraphrasing the question properly, I’d ask: If I install using the guide by @Frez, is it going to come with support here on Meta if I run into trouble? Believe me, I’d prefer to get help here than from any other place; including Bitnami, which I have now ditched. Better to source for help from the source!

Thank you for your time. I appreciate!

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #15

Yes, David, I have access to the postgres database.

(Just another happy Discourse user) #16

I can’t say what will get support. You’ll have to get that from the Discourse team when they’re back in the day time.

While you wait for a reply from the Discourse team, then why not try out option 1. If everything installs fine then you can check that it works perfectly before going public. Option 2 would be your fallback if option 1 doesn’t work OK and you cannot resolve the issues.

One caveat is that the guide is over two years old - last edited April 2016. Since then there has been at least one problem identified. This problem with SES email was resolved but I don’t know if other problems are out there:

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #17

Thanks again Remah for your input. You’ve done me a whole lot of good, you know? Glad to have you here.

(David Taylor) #18

The only setup we support is this one: discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

Typically people do that on a digital ocean droplet, but it should work the same on any linux server.

The problem with AWS is the complexity - finding the right way to set things up is very tricky. Is your AWS credit valid for AWS Lightsail? That provides a ‘Digital-ocean-like’ experience on AWS: Lightsail

There is no requirement to use SES, you can use another recommended provider, even if your server is hosted on AWS.

(Just another happy Discourse user) #19

The guide @habeycole referred to assumes that SES is used. Another reason why that guide needs an update.

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #20

Yes, my credit is eligible to work with Lightsail. Think it’d be better using that then. But think I’ll also do EC2 install and check for which works best for me in the next two days before I eventually settle for the better. I appreciate the feedback I’ve received from all.

And to note: I possibly won’t be using SES for sending mails because of the restrictions. Mailgun is my preferred choice.

(Jay Pfaffman) #21

You can set up an aws instance running Ubuntu and do a standard install. It’ll be fine. I have done installs for people on AWS (I charge extra for it since it’s easier when I am in control of the entire process) and it’s worked well. If you have credit there you should definitely use it. I’d regimens 2gb if ram and and 30 to 50gb of disk. (you can get by with less, but if you have $1000 you may as well use it).

If you have a backup of your community or whatever database you were using is available you should be able to restore the data to the new server. Exactly how to accomplish that may be difficult for people to be able to diagnose and give you instructions for here. If you have a budget for that you can contact me and I can have a look and give you an estimate for what I’d charge to try to get it worked out for you.

(Abiodun Olumide Daniels) #22

Awwww. @pfaffman This could have come first. I had set up a meeting with some local persons here to set this up and also a Lightsail installation while we watch for about three days and see which one we would eventually opt for. I wish this has come earlier as it’d have saved me more time than bickering (but I learned much through that anyways) and ‘wasting’ wonderful people’s precious time here. But as it is, let’s see what we have for this next few days and then we can chart a way forward.

Thanks to all the amazing people here. You all rock!