Starting a new Discourse community with old database

You can set up an aws instance running Ubuntu and do a standard install. It’ll be fine. I have done installs for people on AWS (I charge extra for it since it’s easier when I am in control of the entire process) and it’s worked well. If you have credit there you should definitely use it. I’d regimens 2gb if ram and and 30 to 50gb of disk. (you can get by with less, but if you have $1000 you may as well use it).

If you have a backup of your community or whatever database you were using is available you should be able to restore the data to the new server. Exactly how to accomplish that may be difficult for people to be able to diagnose and give you instructions for here. If you have a budget for that you can contact me and I can have a look and give you an estimate for what I’d charge to try to get it worked out for you.

2 Likes

Awwww. @pfaffman This could have come first. I had set up a meeting with some local persons here to set this up and also a Lightsail installation while we watch for about three days and see which one we would eventually opt for. I wish this has come earlier as it’d have saved me more time than bickering (but I learned much through that anyways) and ‘wasting’ wonderful people’s precious time here. But as it is, let’s see what we have for this next few days and then we can chart a way forward.

Thanks to all the amazing people here. You all rock!

4 Likes