Submit a free plan

Hello and thank you for having answered me,

I will ask a friend or a relative to set up Discourse for me because the facility has complex area unfortunately.

I’ll let you know.

I would nevertheless have a question:
Once you have installed Discourse, is it easy to set up and moderate your community?

Could I also have a screen of the administration interface to see what it looks like?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

1 Like

One of the easiest I’ve come across. There isn’t a slew of pages/navigation to jump through (cough vBulletin cough), everything is neatly aligned and tucked away where you’d expect to find it. Dealing with Flags isn’t a time consuming task, same with Needs Approval Posts and Akismet.

Here you go

6 Likes

Good evening and thank you for having answered me,

Okay.

Thanks a lot for the screens.

1. I have an idea in order to be able to propose a free plan proposing the hosting and the creation of its forum Discourse:
    I suggest adding some ads on the forums having the free plan. People who would use Adblock, would see a message asking them to disable Adblock in order to access the forum. As long as they do not, they will not be able to access the forum.

Thus, this advertising could finance part of the work and allow you to propose a free plan with accommodation.

What do you think ?

1. Are there any free cloud services?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Good night.

We can support you via the #community channel here at meta if you have moderation questions.

There is no roadmap for a free plan and I don’t see this changing. The issue isn’t monetizing it, it’s the time and effort required for maintenance. We’ve offered you as many solutions as we can in this regard and I don’t think we can help you further.

9 Likes

People serve ads on their forum even when they’re paying for it, there is no free cloud services that use discourse as it requires lots of resources, as discourse takes alot to develop the developers need :moneybag: for more expansion. I’ll suggest you use phpbb or mybb as they’re free and there are alot of free services that use them!

2 Likes

I think that if you want to you can go ahead and start that service!

9 Likes

The discourse platform is about building quality discussions and communities against the backdrop of the modern internet.

Ads (along with signatures and so on) don’t add to discussion, so they are unlikely to make it into a roadmap anytime soon. There are free and ad supported forums abound on the internet, if free is your main need, Discourse is probably not the platform for you at this time.

I will say this much, paying for hosting is the easiest part of founding and growing a community in anything but outlier cases.

For 1-2 people, I’d suggest slack.

6 Likes

If you think that running ads on a forum can finance the costs of your hosting, why don’t you do that yourself? Why are you proposing that your hosting provider does this for you?

Just get paid hosting and pay for the hosting costs with your advertising revenue.

10 Likes

Good evening and thank you for having answered me,

Okay.

I was able to install Discourse in local thanks to the site bitnami.com

I’m currently testing Discourse.

I would nevertheless have a question:
How do you view the description of a link like this message:

Is it thanks to a plugin installed on this forum?

Thank you in advance for your answer and your help.

bitnami installs Discourse in a way that is not supported. You probably cannot upgrade. You almost certainly cannot install a plugin.

9 Likes

You are seeing a OneBox of the link. Some sites support it, other sites don’t. Depends on the site of the link.

And @pfaffman is right, try to get out of Bitnami. I went down the same road before. It is a very old version.

6 Likes

Hello and thank you for answering me,

Okay.

Finally I tried to post another link and it worked.

Thank you for informing me.

1 Like