Supported Free Installations

Me and an admin are trying to install Discourse on a cloud or whatever, but we hit a roadblock, and it was finding a supported install without having to pay any money. I tried searching, but all I found was something about Heroku, which I didn’t use. Oh, and I don’t have $150 to pay someone to do it.

1 Like

Discourse is free but computer rescources are not. Have you had a look at Communiteq?

3 Likes

Oh. Lemme get my megaphone to call twofoursixeight.

1 Like

Search is your friend:

5 Likes
3 Likes

you meant @twofoursixeight ?

1 Like

Yes, they are working together on this [1]

1. I know because I am on their forum ↩︎

If you don’t need email support, you can use https://dashboard.literatecomputing.com/ for free if you join the Free Trial group. You enter your hostname, paste in API keys for Digital Ocean and Mailgun and it’ll create the droplet, configure mailgun, send you an email with the required DNS records and finish the install once the DNS stuff is in place.

This will get you a supported install in the sense that it follows INSTALL-cloud. It does not give you an install that is supported for free.

If you need help filling in those fields or setting up DNS records, you might need to pay for support.

4 Likes

You posted in this topic not long ago too

4 Likes

That looks like what twofoursixeight set up on, but I’ll (try) to get in touch with him about that.

Oh and by the way, @ondrej that thing is even shorter than the Discourse free trial.

2 Likes

Someone has to pay for the resources it uses and spend some of their own limited lifespan making it work and keeping it working. How could it be free, except at someone else’s expense? What do they gain, except perhaps harvesting your users email addresses?

3 Likes

Good point, but but we do have this thing for some people: