Suggestion: ignore current day on the forum stats in /admin

Because the day’s data is never complete, it often leads graph lines to drop, which looks weird:

Wouldn’t it look better if the current day was ignored on these graphs?

12 Likes

I think we had some code to drop last partial day, but maybe your timezone is somehow close to an edge case. We will have a quick look.

3 Likes

Just adding my voice here. Server is in Frakfurt and I’m accessing from London. Adding both just in case the request is submitted using the client timezone instead of the server.

In any case, it should just be a simple matter of identifying “yesterday”. Lots of libraries that manage time comes with features like this included (thinking moment for js for example, etc)

2 Likes

I guess this is not a good idea.

One can quickly figure out that the day’s pageviews seem to be lower than usual because the day isn’t over yet - but if you delete it, it will be very difficult for the admin to notice the anomaly.

I have a forum that has been DDoS’ed several times. Thanks to Cloudflare for making it survive ddos - but anyway, sometimes, after being ddos, I can quickly see up to tens of thousands of anonymous visits on the dashboard. This allows us to quickly confirm the nature rather than waiting for analysis from a technician and then troubleshooting.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get this point.

When talking about dropping I think it’s safe to assume we are talking about not taking it into consideration, and specifically, only in the home page of admin. In reports you can select the days so the problem doesn’t really exists.

2 Likes

Maybe just a simple toggle to show/hide current day would be a great feature to both groups - liking and disliking hiding current day stats?

Note that the head poster is showing breakdown graphs of particular stats, not showing the overall pageviews.

I think I can agree that pageviews should be left as-is, because it could show a DOS or a traffic peak or an unexpected flatline.

But for the head post’s picture of stats, I do agree that it’s always a bit shocking to see the sudden fall.

1 Like

pageviews should def be current but the stats graphs showing current day is rather deceptive and even pointless. i was mulling over this myself just the other day when reviewing our own dashboard.

i do find this a bit misleading perhaps (the dates):

dashboard

If discourse decides to remove traffic data current day, I wish it had a switch that would allow me to switch it back. For me, I’m always monitoring today’s traffic, not yesterday’s.
Sometimes the number of forum visits is not as high as possible.
I don’t like sudden unexpected exposure of my forum, which is a risk for a semi-private forum. And this data is very intuitive to tell me the number of visits in the recent period.

1 Like