Suppress category from latest topics gone

Thanks @sam for the timeframe (even though we are still not on the same page about this ““anti user feature””) :wink:

Anyways, thanks @vinothkannans and ultimately thanks @RGJ for providing this plugin!
After a first issue and a super fast fix, I can confirm I have my beloved forum theme and flow for my users back! Happy days. :partying_face:
I consider this “ticket” as closed for now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

CAN’T BE HAPPIER!!!

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for stepping in so quickly, @RGJ!

I feel a bit silly now to say on https://community.hiveeyes.org/, even after activating the plugin within settings, we don’t see the option at the place within the category settings where it was before:

Did we miss something here or might there be something wrong with our instance of Discourse? We are running 2.4.0.beta8.

1 Like

It was us. After deactivating and reactivating the plugin again (better safe than sorry), we found the option at the very bottom of the category settings tab. We probably just missed that before.

@RGJ: We can confirm it works perfectly again, thank you so much and sorry for the noise.

5 Likes

THANK YOU @RGJ! Please give the explicit app.yml line on the GitHub page under installation instructions vs pointing to the general install page just like GitHub - curiousdannii/discourse-merge-users: A Discourse forum plugin for merging users does it.

Hi,
Does this plugin filter out suppressed messages from New category as well for you?

Thank you so much for this plugin, it does restore ‘suppress from latest’, but unfortunately it also causes tag filtering to stop working as it did before.

When this setting is enabled, selecting a tag under a topic no longer returns topics from categories that have ‘suppress from latest’ enabled. As soon as this setting is disabled, tag filtering works as expected.

I hope this is something that can be easily fixed, I really appreciate your efforts on this one, and thanks again.

3 Likes

I will take a look at that in the course of this week, shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

3 Likes

I pushed a fix, the plugin does not suppress categories in tag filters anymore.

8 Likes

@RGJ hi,
Is it supposed to this plugin hide also messages from suppressed category from New page?

Thanks

1 Like

No, it’s not supposed to do that. I have pushed another fix.

5 Likes

Thanks! Works like a charm!

Happy New Year for all you guys! :christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Does anyone know how I can reverse things so that none of our foreign language categories are muted for any users? Those categories need to appear on /categories for everyone. At the moment, there are probably 25,000+ users who can’t discover content that should be visible to them.

If u is a user, I see u.muted_user_ids but I’m not sure where the muted categories live.

users.each do |u|
  # Here, I would find if any of that user's muted categories match a
  # foreign language category and delete them from the list for that
  # user.
end

Also, is it safe for me to find that field and adjust the raw value via a script in irb like that?

1 Like

This is a fairly straightforward thing to do. The changes you need to make are to the category_users table. I outlined how to unmute a category for all users in this post: Trading buttons: Buy, Sell, Exchange and added some more details in another post in that topic.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that.

1 Like

Simplest is just to change the site setting, it will prompt you to unmute for existing users if you wish.

6 Likes

Thanks, that worked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

We are having this issue on our website. We already had 3 categories suppressed from latest and now we need to add one more.

We would be willing to use the default categories muted instead. However, we would like to disable the old feature from the 3 existing categories so that the entire site behave the same way.

We are self hosting our discourse instance and have access to the database. Could you provide the information as to where the flag suppress from latest of the three previous categories is in the DB?

1 Like

AFAIK When the feature was removed the categories became muted by default.

The flag didn’t continue to exist or function once the option went from the UI.

2 Likes

Our list is empty. Is there any other place where they could have been muted?

1 Like