Suppress category from new topics

We have a category, which creates lots of new topic because of embedding (topics are automatically created when a page with embedded Discussion is shown).
Projects in Copr - Fedora Discussion
People are asking that this category should be suppressed from New topic. It can be suppressed form latest, but not from new. It would be nice to have a checkbox with “Suppress category from new topics”. (and RSS feed).

1 Like

I suggest you should mute that category for all existing users.

Looks like this feature was removed from discourse at some point and then in 2020 there was an official plugin released which provided this functionality again as described here:

I don’t know why this feature hasn’t been just built into the main discourse software itself and why it’s still kept a plugin.

So the solution to this feature is the plugin above.

However, this plugin doesn’t seem to have it’s own page in plugin for some reason. This appears to be an important feature and probably deserves it’s own official plugin page (if not be integrated directly into discourse itself)
@JammyDodger @vinothkannans

Default Muting a category removes the topics from the Latest list. That’s the new and improved version of the old suppress behaviour.

Though if you’ve set the notification level of a category away from the default then it will respect that for you, as well as if you have any topics in a muted category that you’re specifically watching/tracking.

(I’m referencing Latest as that’s what it sounded like you wanted it for in your previous deleted post)

1 Like

Thanks yes I can confirm that behavior exactly you described this.

The official plugin above when used permanently suppresses the selected categories for all users. I still think it at the very least have it’s own official plugin page - it’s still useful. Maybe on the plugin page described the default discourse behavior as you explained it and then explain what additional features the plugin provides.

That kills 2 birds with one stone (pardon the horrific expression) - 1. explains how default latest category suppressions work and 2. provides an option to expand on the behavior if required.

Just to clarify, that plugin isn’t an official one. I think the default categories muted and default tags muted settings are the recommended method for this.

This way individuals get more control of what they want to see in their own topic lists.

I was under the impression that all plugins in the Discourse · GitHub are official plugins.

No, not all of them, only those tagged as official here on meta:

https://meta.discourse.org/tags/c/plugin/22/official

(Technically, those marked as such here discourse/lib/plugin/metadata.rb at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub)

Which now I look, I see that that one is in there… :slight_smile:

1 Like