Synology Docker install

I am running DSM 6.1.3 on my Synology NAS, including Docker. I’d love to get Discourse running on it as a test environment. For some reason I can’t seem to get it working.

Running Docker I can get the docker image. But when I SSH into it (via Docker Terminal on my Synology web interface) I can browse the various folders. But nowhere do I see files and folders I’m used to. Like the discourse-setup file and everything.

Anyone any idea how to progress from here? It seems ridiculous to install Ubuntu inside Docker and then install Docker inside that Ubuntu image. Kind of like Inception.

I’m sure you know more than I do about sysop stuff, but IIRC Discourse set-up now checks to make sure device mapper isn’t being used instead of AUFS

Having not used this product, I think the official install is a bad fit for this environment.

This appears to be for running simple independent containers, which works well if you have all your data on a file share or separate database. In the case of the standard Discourse install, the container is the app, the database files live on the local disk, and the container management is a script called launcher.

For Synology, it seems you’d want a way to build images on another system, arrange for the the /share/ mount to be on a file server somewhere, and replace launcher with the Synology controls. Doable, but not a simple drop in.

Or run containers inside containers.

1 Like

Hey @dvdstelt, did you find a solution to install Discourse on your NAS? I’m having the same difficulties .

Nope, we now host on Communiteq (formerly DiscourseHosting) which is quite nice. But I wanted a test environment on my NAS and that did not work. Haven’t tried for a long, long time now though.

2 Likes