Tag names too restricted

I was trying to move completely away from categories on my forum BUT I discovered tags were way too restrictive with regard to their names. No spaces, 20 characters maximum, completely frustrated my desire. I read somewhere that discourse was trying to move away from categories into tags. This is an idea I support.

I also support adding a twiter like #hashtag feature within posts to increase awesomeness.

1 Like

Kinda. We’re not moving away from categories, but we do recommend restricting the use of categories to situations where they are actually necessary. More information at It’s Time We Talked About Tags

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the article.

Still, one way to make people use less categories is make tags more flexible.

You can set the max length for tags

https://{your-site}/admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=max%20tag

5 Likes

Tags behave like category stubs, which can’t have spaces either.

The 20 character is there because otherwise the tag selector begins to look pretty ridiculous.

If legal libraries can build their whole taxonomies using those limitations the rest of us have no excuse.

1 Like

This is it…Solved!

3 Likes

Is there a way to edit the length of the tag after which it is truncated?
Long tag names appear with an ellipsis. “this-is-a-long-tag-name” shows as “this-is-a-lo…”, even on the tag’s page. How can I change this limit? Willing to change source and rebuild.

That can be done via editing CSS in Admin, Customize.

Thanks a lot Jeff.
Exactly what property am I looking to change? Or if you could point me to a how-to for this.
Appreciate the help.

It’d be nice if the tag name and tag slug where handled like categories are. With the slug separate to the name.

So a tag could have a name like:
Name: Awesome Stuff
Slug: awesome-stuff

Right now, this would come out like:
Name & slug: awesome-stuff

2 Likes