Teachable and Discourse SSO

Hey - I am new to programming (I am teaching myself during quarantine) and I am helping a friend convert his music lesson business online.

He is making a few classes on Teachable and wants to add a Discourse forum. I got one up and running myself for him but I am having a hard time connecting Teachable to an SSO for Discourse. Here’s what I think I need to do, but I feel like I am missing a step.

1. User signs up, Teachable webhook sends this action to a server.
  2. The server gets the user data from the webhook, then uses something like to create the user. I am currently learning node.js so this is why I picked this package instead of the suggest ruby gem I have seen on discourse.

Is there something I am missing? I feel like it is a lot of work to set up a server just to handle the requests between Teachable and Discourse. If anyone can guide me in the right direction or validate this is a reasonable approach I’d greatly appreciate it, thanks!

1 Like

That is great!

Normally what would be done is that code similar to the SSO code you have linked to would be installed on the service that users initially log into. In your case that service would be Teachable. Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to add server side code to a Teachable site.

Have a look at this post to see how you can integrate Discourse with Teachable by sending Discourse invitations to users when they register on Teachable:

You can achieve similar functionality by sending the invites through Zapier. That is outlined here: Automate sending Discourse invite emails with Zapier.

1 Like