Terms of Service & Privacy Policy agreement notice missing when forum log-in is forced

My forum currently has the login required setting enabled where anonymous users are forced to log in or register on the site. I have noticed that the text “By registering, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.” is missing when the setting is enabled. When it isn’t, the text is visible. I believe the text should be visible so users know they are subject to the terms of service and privacy policy when joining the forum.

login required Setting Enabled:

login required Setting Disabled:

1 Like

It makes sense on a login only community. On Meta or example if you click ToS it takes you to here which is ‘inside’ the site. That defeats the point of login only.

3 Likes

I see, although I noticed that even on login-only sites, the pages /tos and /privacy are still accessible to the public internet even when anonymous. The UI is also restricted on these pages. For notifying users they are legally binded to the terms of service and privacy policy, I think it’s best to have that agreement notice on login-only sites.

1 Like

Yes, we should probably show this disclaimer unconditionally… I’ve attempted a PR here: UX: show disclaimer on account creation unconditionally by awesomerobot · Pull Request #26807 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

but there might be some more complicating factors to consider…

1 Like