Thumbnails not being pulled

I’m migrating a 15 year old community to discourse, and we’ve decided not to migrate the hundred thousand plus posts, rather selected ones of lasting value.

On the old board, images are saved as https://static.xxx/uploads/xxx.jpg. and we’ll keep that server alive post-migration.

When moving posts with images, it’s not grabbing and making the thumbnail, no matter whether I wrap the images in () or not. It does it for the current session but when I force-reload the page or another user looks at it, we get the broken picture icon:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 9.30.58 AM

The icon links directly to the picture on the static server, which is working fine. But thumbnails would be ‘nice’.

The only thing I can think of is a firewall problem - both servers are in private IP space, and the firewall prevents an internal server from accessing another via an external IP. I believe I’ve set this correctly in the host’s /etc/hosts file, but am NOT a docker expert. When I ping the static image server I get the correct internal IP address from regular command prompt. (note to self, enter the container and test from there)

Is there something else I need to do to force static.xx to be the internal IP? External images when wrapped with () are working as expected with the lightbox.

1 Like

You could have it talk to an internal DNS server? It depends on your layer 3 topology but that would stop all loopback chatter.

5 Likes

when i ping the asset server i get the internal ip is docker using an alternate host file?

1 Like

Use ./launcher enter app to find out.

4 Likes

aha thats the issue. resolves to external ip.
root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse# cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
172.17.0.2 discourse-app

Added, and… success!

4 Likes

Altering the hosts file in the container won’t persist between rebuilds. Better to troubleshoot your DNS chain than bodge it.

1 Like

That’s an issue… although once the file has been brought into discourse, the original will no longer be referenced, right?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.