Tools to "aggregate" many Discourse forums?

Michael,

I am very interested in how to integrate forums with discourse status quo more from the standpoint of pooling knowledge and linking communities that administrating them from one platform. Have you come across anything interesting along these lines?

For example, I wonder if it’s possible to feed multiple topics’ comments into the one linked WordPress blog. That is one way, for example, that communities can contribute knowledge to the one blog/topic across forums. A guest blogger’s blog linked to your forum as a topic for people to reply to is doable but it doesn’t give that linked/between communities feel.

A desktop app similar to the mobile app would be awesome. I do use the mobile app to switch between discourse meta and my forum currently.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this done, but it ought to be possible with either some combination of the Discourse WordPress comments plugin, and/or RSS feeds … A lot can be done in that direction. See https://digitalprinciples.org/community/ for an example from one of the sites I’ve worked on. It’s a 1-to-1 ratio of sites to forum, but could also feed in multiple forums in a similar way.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks, Michael. I will check it out and get back to you.

It’s possible to configure one Discourse instance as the SSO master and a set of other ones as SSO slave/clients.

I don’t pretend to know about SEO, but my understanding that duplicate content in multiple places is a no-no.

1 Like

Took me a while to find this mighty old topic, but @etewiah’s Offcourse app might be interesting to look at for this. It provided, if I recall correctly, an aggregator interface for discourse. I have no idea where he is these days and his sites are offline (hope you’re well, my brother!) but the git repo is available if anyone wants to try to fork it and get it going again.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/offcourse-a-proof-of-concept-offline-reader-for-discourse/22356?u=tobiaseigen

4 Likes

I would love to be able to copy over my site settings from another one of my discourse instances when setting up a new one. Perhaps even keep certain settings in sync between instances.

3 Likes

Quite an interesting concept. I think it’d be pretty important that it weren’t necessary to install any plugins on the server side to make this work, as everyone would have their own set of existing forums they’d want to roll up. And we don’t always have a say on what the admin installs. :slight_smile:

Didn’t Slack deprecate their IRC support?

Yes, but IRCcloud (now) has an API-based integration that allows me to use their client to interface with Slack teams workspaces that have enabled the “app”.

Edit: They are apparently using the new/work-in-progress IRCv3 standard to do this in between Slack and their client, so it’s a nice preview to demonstrate that IRC will be able to accommodate all the bells and whistles of slack, eventually.

2 Likes

Done.

10 Likes

Whaat? :astonished: How did you do that so fast?

Will try it next time I setup a site. I just realized, though, that while it’s good to copy site settings, the real pain is in text content customizations…

2 Likes

I’m just that good! (unless you check the dates of the repo in github).

That does sound painful. I’m generally much too lazy to change those, so I’ve never bothered. I don’t know what that API interface looks like or an easy way to download all of them, but that’s because I haven’t looked.

3 Likes

The best way - he had already identified the need and wrote it a while ago :smiley:

4 Likes

HI @tobiaseigen, long time indeed. The response I got to offcourse suggested there wasn’t much demand for it and I abandoned it. I’ve also drifted away from discourse (and ember).
Might need to get back into it soon though. I’m working on a real estate project now called PropertyWebBuilder and I could do with having a forum for it.
Will send you a PM.

3 Likes

I completely concur with your vision.

I’ve just killed a project that attempted to migrate users off of a Facebook Group.

I failed.

Despite offering them a superior set of Discourse functionality, including bespoke plugins I had written to provide really rich domain functionality that blew a hole in Zucks side the one feature I could not compete with was the ability to show an aggregation of all the interest groups they were subscribed to.

“We loved your website, Robert, but it was just more convenient to scroll down Facebook” :angry:

If we had a single web page and web app that could show a feed of all your many Discourse site accounts now that would be just great.

Perhaps an RSS reader would suffice. Has anyone tried this? But ultimately you need a way to access with your individual accounts in the way the (excellent) iOS app does.

2 Likes

This is conceptually great, but why was it written in React? If you build a tool for a big population of Discourse users, many of whom may be actively contributing plugins and Theme Components based on Ember, wouldn’t it be a good idea to write the app using Ember to help secure future support from the community?

It is a false dichotomy though, an alternate directory would still exist outside Facebook so nobody would go there. The only answer is incredibly compelling unique content, same as it ever was.

2 Likes

But I’m using your team’s wonderful app all the time, and all it’s missing is a feed :wink:

2 Likes

I wrote a proposal to tackle this exact problem: mix in many different Discourse activity in a central and social user feed.

You can follow your peers in Mastodon and add your “groups” (Discourse instances that you care about, like one about a game you like, one about your ioio hobby, etc) to be interleaved in your forum.

We can also do the same by making a robust Facebook / Twitter integration, that periodically picks a random topic/post from /top and puts it on social media. This is all possible already, but not easy for non-technical people.

6 Likes

I follow many Discourse forums with my feed reader.
What I do is scrap the HTML and convert it to a feed.
Got it nailed pretty well by now, not only for Discourse, but for any other site.
This way, no need for the blackbox algorithms, it is all under my control.

1 Like