Topic Content in Chronological Order

The attached screenshot is of a course I am running using Discourse. It’s spread over four weeks, and the students are asking for me to order the assignments chronologically. I can’t find a way to do this? Is it possible?

Lee

They are in order of most recent activity, though I think that they can be changed with a theme component.

What I did was create a syllabus topic that linked to stuff. You can see it Syllabus: EDM510 2016 Summer - EDM510 Summer 2016 - Literate Computing: Learning to Think Like a Geek

No need for a theme component.

Edit the category where the topics are, in the settings change " Topic List Sort By" to created.

If necessary, you can use the :wrench: button in the topic to change timestamps to re-order.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response @pfaffman but @Falco seems to be closer to my mental ability :wink:

I will try it and get back to you.

Once I have set them in ‘Order Created’ is there a way of moving individual posts around? I ask because moving forward, setting it to Order Created for a new course will work, but not for this current course because the order of posts has been all over the place.

You mean topics right?

This should be doable by:

Inside a topic, in the top right, above the blue scroll bar you should see the Wrench button, that can “Change Timestamp” of a topic.

2 Likes

Ok, so laborious, but I can change each one individually.

Thanks for all your help.

Lee

3 Likes

Is there a way to enable users to select this sort view on their own?

E.g. by adding a created option to top menu and/or topic list action?

I haven’t yet written a plugin; would this be a good case for such an attempt?

You can do this in a theme component, which is easier than a plugin.

1 Like

Ooo, thanks for the tip!

A site where I admin uses an ‘archive’ tag, and chronological topic view of tagged topics would be very useful. I better get studying on writing theme components…

I suppose I should ask, so I begin to look in the correct places,

Would a theme component allow for configuration via topic list action, or would it use another mechanism?

Is there an index on the topic created (date) field?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.