Topic List Previews

It looks like only one of the YouTube videos preview thumbnails are getting an entry in the post_uploads table.

Ordinary pictures do not suffer from this: you get as many entries as there are pictures.

For now, workaround to try is putting the second youtube into a new post (on same Topic).

However, that raises the question, where are the thumbnail entries (as well as the original uploads)? I’ll keep investigating.

3 Likes

But, there is only one YT video in each post already in the problematic topic. Select thumbnail shows images from both posts, but I cannot select either of them to make it work…

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes I can reproduce in the case of YT thumbnails. Interestingly there is no issue with normal pictures in that regard. I’ll take a look when I have more time.

2 Likes

Would it be difficult to add the ‘‘following’’ section from the “follow plugin” to the list of choices for topic tiles? The style is so gorgeous and would be nice to have it congruent throughout the website.

2 Likes

Is there a way to activate topic content excerpts in the “Latest” mode of the landing page (like https://meta.discourse.org/latest)?

2 Likes

Is there a way to activate topic content excerpts when a category is filtered by tags?

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Have you followed the guide in the OP?

2 Likes

Hmm, for some reason I don’t have “tags” as option in the setting “Show topic excerpts in selected lists in this category.”

As for the landing page (= main page), I don’t understand where to find the corresponding setting.

But I’m not admin here, maybe that’s the problem?

1 Like

Here’s a working example: Topics tagged zero

This works if this is set globally in Settings -> Tags

Just add latest to ‘topic list excerpt’ setting.

Make sure you are confirming the addition with the green tick

2 Likes

This seems to already be set, because filtering the topic list by tag works fine:
Before filtering:
Only the excerpts are gone after filtering:

W.r.t. the landing page, you wrote:

I’ll have a look at this with my admin later, thank you.

2 Likes

One last porftolio question/request merefield; I don’t see a way to hide the new nav pill with css easily, would it possible to get an option to hide this? I already have too many nav pills and I prefer to put a link to this in my header menu instead. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah its on mobile devices.

2 Likes

Users are reporting problems with selecting a thumbnail. Sometimes it fails, but we haven’t found steps to reproduce yet. We do have the console output of one case. Have you seen this before? Any idea what could lead tot his?

1 Like

Ah, we found out:
The setting “topic list excerpt” showed “latest”, but only as the first line of the dropdown box! So “latest” was not active yet!

2 Likes

Yes that’s a significant gotcha with the setting style :). Glad you sorted it.

1 Like

Bart we have a known issue with YouTube but please point me to a problem Topic.

Those error messages don’t immediately seem familiar to the TLP code. Can you reproduce them?

1 Like

It’s very irregular, even within the same topics so we’re having a hard time to reproduce this issue. I’ll keep digging, but wanted to report it in case someone else runs into this too.

2 Likes

Hi, Robert
can you show me how to change topic list featured images tag position to top like this

1 Like

That’s unfortunately not entirely trivial. You’d need to fork the plugin.

They are currently anchored on

You could try to move that to top-notices

But I’m not sure of the other consequences to layout. But if you are happy maintaining your own fork and experimenting, go for it!

1 Like

thanks for your reply, i think it’s difficult for me, i will try oneday, not now.
Thank Robert, have a good day!

2 Likes