Topic Title Flair - or something like that?

I would like to know if we have a feature like topic title flair as known from reddit?

Im building a new forum and to categories the topic I will use tags.

But to categories the topic type I could use topic flairs as known from reddit. Do we have a plugin like that? I did search but I might have missed it… :slight_smile:

When posting on reddit
Skærmbillede 2021-10-21 kl. 08.26.29

Topic list;
Skærmbillede 2021-10-21 kl. 08.27.04

2 Likes

This would be lovely to have! It would add a little bit of color into the topic list, which would look great in my opinion!

1 Like

I have created a plugin before. I’m not sure is that what you want.

4 Likes

I may have a look at that one.

But what I basiclly is looking for is a addon to the tags feature or how to explain… :thinking:

I would like to have 2 set of tags.

1. A set that works as tags in the native discourse
  2. And a set that describe the type of post. Eg this tag/flair is added ahead of the topic title - like in the image above. Does it make sense?
1 Like

For this, I think you need to create categories or sub-categories.

1 Like

It will not solve my issue.

Let say my forum is a smartphone forum.

I would have e.g. 2 categories
Apple
Android

In Apple I would have tags like iphone8, Iphone12
In the Android forum I would have tags like; Samsung Galaxy, huawei p30

In each forum I could have different type of questions about Apps, Setup, Jailbrake - this would be the flair og Topic Title Flairs I would like to add to topics. Instead of having a huge list of subcatories where some is used very often - others with just a few post.

I dont want this structure
Apple
–Apps
–Setup
–Jailbrake
…
Android
–Apps
–Setup
–Jailbrake
…

It makes sense in a very huge and active forum. Not that much in a rather small one where
–Apple
–Android

Would be fine with the tweaks I am looking for.

1 Like

These are just tags. The component looks like a good suggestion.

1 Like

Im not sure if I understand… could you be more specific?

1 Like
  • Semantically, what you are asking for is a tag.
  • @tachibanalolo has created a Component to decorate those tags in a similar fashion. Looks like a win to me.
  • Categories don’t look like a good fit.

You might also want to look at: Add a custom fontawesome icon and color to your tag - howto / tips & tricks - Discourse Meta

2 Likes

I think It’s Time We Talked About Tags

2 Likes

Well I still think that tags not fit my need 100%.

In my case I would need my users to choose between 2 set of groups af tags
one stock ticker: what stock is this about: ambu, solar, upst, etc…
and then
one typic type: like news, analysis, etc

Eg I have these 2 groups

At the moment when choosing tag the tags are mixed together and not grouped. The user should choose minimum 1 from ticker group and ONLY one from topic type…

Skærmbillede 2021-10-22 kl. 10.15.12

I can not see how I can solve that without something like topic flairs… any ideas?

1 Like

Do you’d need to be able to have different groups of tags… How to create tag structures, tag category restrictions, tag groups and tag relationships

3 Likes

You are not able, as far I can read it, to have

2 groups and require you have to assign, one and only one from each group. And when you have choosen one from group 1, then group 1 options disappear and then you can choose from group 2 tags group.

So for me, the solution of only using tags is no go. The tag selection is premature…

1 Like

Do you need group 2 to change depending on group one?

1 Like

Im not sure I need it that way. But at the moment you can not control more then one tag group per category.

There is no ADD function

Skærmbillede 2021-10-31 kl. 21.53.41

Why can I not add one more line?
And say 3 num tags from a new group?

1 Like

It is unclear what you are attempting to do. If you want “title flair”, that is literally what tags are for. Target them with CSS to style them however you want, and you can achieve what you posted a screenshot of:

Skærmbillede 2021-10-21 kl. 08.26.29

Every one of those would be a tag, and the CSS rule for the tag would add an emoji and color as needed.

2 Likes

I did try to explain it here: Request or idea for a component: topic title or topic flair

I cant do it better. I dont think tags, alone, fits my need.

Anyway I seems like the only one looking for something like that… so let it be…

1 Like