Trust-Level Avatar Flair

theme-component

@cookywook, I just noticed this last night! I don’t remember seeing any formal announcement of this being added, but it certainly makes this theme less necessary, which is a good thing!. As of now the main scenario I can see this theme being useful for is when you want to display both group flair and trust-level flair at the same time. I would try removing this theme as a component (not deleting it) and playing with those new group settings to make sure you can achieve what you want, then you can delete it if the new settings work for you :slight_smile: .

(Lee Strickland) #43

I need to get this working, trust level flair doesn’t display by default without it! Last time I tried I failed… I’ll try again.
Can I user font awesome icons in this theme component? It appears so but as I never got it to work I don’t really know nothing.

(Lee Strickland) #44

Okay, I’ve got it working as best as I can without making icons? All I really would need to make this awesome would be the ability to use fontawesome or even the existing group flair settings to make this work. I cannot get the flair to activate automatically with just the default settings in the new group manager. If i were to force their trust as their default group it would show but not both, so your theme component is optimal solution present.
Any recommendations on creating flair icons that will look decent/approximate?

Hey @usulrasolas! Thanks for reaching out :slightly_smiling_face: Allowing easy use of fontawesome is actually the next thing I planned on implementing with this. I’ll start getting to work on this ASAP now that I see there is some serious interest in the feature.

In the mean time, you should be able to create an image version of a fontawesome icon using this tool that @McBlu was kind enough to share in another topic:

http://fa2png.io/

I will mention you in a reply here when I’ve updated the theme component with the fontawesome functionality.

(Lee Strickland) #46

Thanks so much, you’re super awesome!
doubleicons
@McBlu Should I just turn the png into a circle with transparent backround with gimp/photoshop to have the left one be circular?

(Richard Cook) #47

I spoke too soon. The automatic groups don’t seem to actually ‘save’ the options you set for them in terms of flair. But I’ll go make a new topic rather than clogging this up.

No problem!

I would suggest using gimp/photoshop if you want to make it right now. You can use one of those transparent placeholder images that come with the Trust-Level Avatar Flair Image Assets as a template. I’ll also add an on/off setting to automatically round the flair images with the next update. Thanks for the inspiration :slight_smile:

@cookywook Ok, good to know, thanks for the clarification!

What would really rock is if you could specify group flair position ala this plugin! We have no real need for flair based on trust level, but we do have the need to display 2 or 3 flair from different groups.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion! That would be easy enough to add to this, though it might be better suited as a separate theme component since the name of this one would not necessarily lead people to think that it has anything to do with group flair.

There are still some of things that need to be updated with this. I will try to make a group flair positioning theme component when I get a good opportunity to work on everything that’s been proposed. Are you thinking just the same flair positions that you can choose in this one?

Yes. Although, see this other post that I just made for one other suggestion. (Additional flair next to the name.)

(AppyBuilder) #53

Do you know of any type of caching issues? For the assets, I upload a new image (android.png) and give it a SCSS var name. First time, it works fine, but then have issues updating it with different image. No matter what image is loaded, it shows original image name (android.png). Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

I feel like I remember hearing about some caching issues with themes in general, but I’m not 100% sure. Different browsers might also cache things in different manners. Hopefully someone else will chime in if they know what’s going on.

In the mean time, what browser do you use? I’m going to try to get a little work in on my themes this weekend, so I’ll see if I can reproduce it, and hopefully find a way to handle it :slight_smile:

(AppyBuilder) #55

Its not browser cache. Seems to be more like server issue or caching. I’ve tried switching browser and using even different computer, but same issue :frowning:

The topic below looks like it might be regarding the same issue you are experiencing. Try seeing if the mentioned workaround fixes the issue. You can ignore the remote theme warning since you are just adding a new line to the CSS.

(Viir) #58

Sounds like the same problem I am seeing here. Took me a while to figure this out, I finally got the images after deleting the themes and adding them again, and replacing the images before using Preview of the theme the first time.
After the theme is used for the first time, replacing the images does not work anymore. (Upload of a new image gives no indication of failure)

Looks like this was confirmed as a bug:

I have uploaded images and set the SCSS var name as per the CSS/html.

but it is still not showing on Discourse.

How do I know what I have missed out? Appreciate some help on this! Thank you.

Hi @Td228admin!

If you can hang tight for a little while longer, I have a rewrite of this that simplifies things quite a bit and adds some of the requested features. I’ll try my best to get it updated sometime this weekend. It’s pretty much complete, I just need to do some final testing, get it on GitHub, and change the instructions here in this topic.

The main reason it’s not working for you at the moment is that you added the images to the wrong component. There is a second component for the image assets that you would need to install and upload the images to. The rewrite will make it so that you only need one component :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Tshenry,

That would be very much appreciated!

I will definitely wait and hang on for this! Thank you for the info and for working on it!:blush:
Still swimming in meta.discourse and looking at all the admin,faqs and how-tos.

This theme component has been updated! :tada::tada::tada:

If you are a current user of this theme component, please look over the topic post again to see how things have changed! You no longer need to use the two components, everything can be done with one now.

Below are the noteworthy changes:

• Built-in Font Awesome support! (@usulrasolas if you still want it, it’s finally here :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • One component design
  • Miscellaneous fixes

Please report any bugs :ant: you find with this update!

@Td228admin just a heads up since you were waiting on this.