Try out the new sidebar and notification menus!

Hamburger Links Theme Component Integration

I’m still not sure where I stand on the new sidebar. My techie self loves it, my user-empathy self thinks it might be confusing.

I will enable it for some and get some real-world user feedback but there is one area that I feel needs a bit more thought.

The new sidebar honours the settings in the Hamburger links theme component. Links added to the Hamburger Links Component do appear in the new sidebar, however, the links are hard-coded in the COMMUNITY section and within that section, they appear behind the More… teaser.

Perhaps my logic and use-case are different to others, but if someone installs the Hamburger Links Theme Component because they believe the user needs to see these links, then I feel they probably deserve a more prominent position - and certainly not hidden behind an extra More… click.

I feel the ideal behaviour would be to allow links that are added in the Hamburger Links Component to specify the section of the sidebar they should appear in. i.e, COMMUNITY, CATEGORIES, TAGS, or MESSAGES.

Perhaps they could specify a different category that would be automatically created in the sidebar?

Perhaps a link could specify no category which would make the link appear outside and below the categories?

Anyway, great work!

Screenshots

Settings From the Hamburger Links Component

Non-expanded Sidebar

Expanded Sidebar - The User has Clicked More…

9 Likes