Two webhook events sent for some new topics

(Daniel Marquard) #1

I have a webhook configured to trigger for topic_created and post_created events. I’ve noticed that some new topics will trigger both, though. This is not true for all topics, but I have noticed it for topics containing uploaded images in their original posts.

In comparing their payloads, the only difference is that the post_created JSON contains a post array (for post_number 1).

This topic from this morning, for example, triggered both events. Here’s the topic_created payload, and the post_created payload.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Hmm anything we can look at here to fix @tgxworld?

(Sam Saffron) #3

also… ping @fantasticfears :slight_smile:

(Erick Guan) #4

Sorry for the late reply. I was away from home. Did you check topic and post event type? If so, topic_created comes from topic event type and post_created comes from post event type. X-Discourse-Event-Type can help to differentiate them. In other words, it’s intended.

But it looks like you are describing another thing. Can you elaborate your configuration?

(Daniel Marquard) #5

Both are checked for the same webhook. As I mentioned, this topic triggered both event types when created, one topic_created and one post_created. You can see from the payloads I linked that there was only one post in the topic at the time. As I’ve already worked around the bug, I can’t be sure which other topics have also triggered both upon creation, but this one wasn’t the first.

Let me know if I can do anything to help narrow it down.

(Erick Guan) #6

If you checked the two event types, all new topics should trigger them twice. As topic event type will trigger topic_created and post event type will trigger post_created.

If the problem is redundant post information, I would note it along with other feedback. Those fields should be either truncated or customized as you mentioned here. :slight_smile:

(Daniel Marquard) #7

Strange, I swear I hadn’t noticed two events for most new topics before, but I just created one and both events were triggered. If this is the intended behavior, then it seems to be working. I made accommodations in my script, so all is well either way. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #8