Unable to download PDF

Hello Team,

I am using the server local storage for storing the files. I have uploaded a pdf file and it was successfully uploaded in the server and, it’s present at the server as well ( I checked it manually by doing ssh login ).

That’s the screenshot of error getting raised when I am trying to download the pdf file.

This is the log of the download event

[discourse_cloud] Started GET "/uploads/short-url/ev4yCeBAtz19YgsTSEkhLMkKrFK.pdf" for 122.168.93.128 at 2019-12-24 09:16:40 +0000
[discourse_cloud] Processing by UploadsController#show_short as PDF
[discourse_cloud]   Parameters: {"base62"=>"ev4yCeBAtz19YgsTSEkhLMkKrFK", "extension"=>"pdf"}
[discourse_cloud] Sent file /home/deploy/discourse_cloud/releases/20191220210316/public/uploads/discourse_cloud/original/1X/65a1a66f4bddc09fbdab830a8c74c7fbe05cca98.pdf (0.2ms)
[discourse_cloud] Completed 200 OK in 11ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms)
[discourse_cloud] Started GET "/home/deploy/discourse_cloud/releases/20191220210316/public/uploads/discourse_cloud/original/1X/65a1a66f4bddc09fbdab830a8c74c7fbe05cca98.pdf" for 122.168.93.128 at 2019-12-24 09:16:40 +0000
[discourse_cloud] ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches [GET] "/home/deploy/discourse_cloud/releases/20191220210316/public/uploads/discourse_cloud/original/1X/65a1a66f4bddc09fbdab830a8c74c7fbe05cca98.pdf")
/home/deploy/discourse_cloud/shared/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:65:in `call'
[discourse_cloud]   Rendering exceptions/not_found.html.erb within layouts/no_ember
[discourse_cloud]   Rendered exceptions/not_found.html.erb within layouts/no_ember (0.6ms)
[discourse_cloud]   Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (1.0ms)
[discourse_cloud]   Rendered common/_discourse_stylesheet.html.erb (0.6ms)
[discourse_cloud]   Rendered application/_header.html.erb (0.1ms)
[discourse_cloud]   Rendering html template
[discourse_cloud]   Rendered html template (0.0ms)

What could be the error ? :-/

2 Likes

If you didn’t upload the file with discourse you will need to change the nginx config inside the container. It’s not set up to server arbitrary files in arbitrary directories.

2 Likes

The screenshot looks like it was uploaded using discourse, but the URL path looks like a tidied short url rather than the real thing?

2 Likes

Can you try uploading that pdf to try.discourse.org and see if it works there? Maybe you have an issue with that specific file?

I guess uploading other types of files works?

3 Likes

Well, I am unable to upload the file without any issues but it’s now allowing me download the file.

I uploaded the file using Discourse message box and it uploaded successfully but I am not able to download it.

1 Like

Yes @Stephen, I am able to upload the file smoothly using my discourse but, it’s not allowing me to download. :frowning:

Please have a look at this screenshot, It’s having a download button. When I tried click on it, I am not able to download.

That’s the error raised when I tried to download the image using download button. ( Download button probably using send_data ruby function )

I just want to undrestand that this is something wrong with NGINX or any other directories permission related issue.

Thanks

1 Like

have faced the same issue. pdf file is uploaded, but then one can’t download the file and goes to the “this page doesn’t exist” page!

I tested and I could easily upload-download pdf here on meta.

Update : I tried some changes and I guess this is more like a #bug related to other languages rather than English.

I had to re-create the pdf with an English name (previously we had Persian characters in the file name). after that the upload can be downloaded without any problem.

Also, the pdf file with the Persian name could be easily uploaded and downloaded here on Meta . So I guess it has something to do with the Encoding option in the admin panel.

1 Like

Hello Team,

Sorry, I am very late here to reply but I fixed my problem by making changes with in the nginx.conf file. It was a very easy fix and was related with the nginx.conf ( And I was trying to fix the core code :smiley: ).

I removed this line from my nginx.conf

proxy_set_header X-Sendfile-Type X-Accel-Redirect;

That was fix to make the downloading work :slight_smile:

I will try to be frequent from now on :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Ashish P.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.