Unable to rebuild at the moment - seems to be TCs. Is this right before I remove them all?

I’ve gotten stuck with a rebuild and aren’t sure why. It appears to be related to theme components. I did have one that was displaying an error, but have removed that one. However, the rebuild continues to fail.

This is with a 2-container setup, attempting a rebuild with ./launcher bootstrap web_only && ./launcher destroy web_only && ./launcher start web_only

The logs:

I, [2022-02-27T22:33:50.697946 #1] INFO – : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile’

• Building
  • Building
  • building…
    Killed
    error Command failed with exit code 137.
    I, [2022-02-27T22:38:12.876942 #1] INFO – : Checking ‘PDF previews’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Icon Header Links’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Discourse Kanban’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Extended About page’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Discourse Jitsi’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Topic Template Placeholder Text’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Wikified Posts’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Layouts Category List Widget’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘New PM Dropdown Button’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Discourse Custom Homepage’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Category Icons’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Wizards Dropdown Button’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Blog Post Styling’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Layouts Category List Widget - Nathan’s Fork’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘md-composer-extras’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Land on Group Messages’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Layouts Groups Widget’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Topic List Previews’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘discourse-image-annotator’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘Welcome Link Banner’ for ‘default’… up to date
    Checking ‘DiscoTOC’ for ‘default’… yarn run v1.22.17
    $ /var/www/discourse/app/assets/javascripts/node_modules/.bin/ember build -prod
    WARNING: Node v16.13.2 is not tested against Ember CLI on your platform. We recommend that you use the most-recent “Active LTS” version of Node.js. See ember-cli/node-support.md at master · ember-cli/ember-cli · GitHub for details.
    DEPRECATION: The integration of jQuery into Ember has been deprecated and will be removed with Ember 4.0. You can either opt-out of using jQuery, or install the @ember/jquery addon to provide the jQuery integration. Please consult the deprecation guide for further details: Ember.js - Deprecations
    Environment: production
    info Visit yarn run | Yarn for documentation about this command.

FAILED

Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake themes:update >assets:precompile’ failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1257 exit 137>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn’
exec failed with the params {“cd”=>"$home", “hook”=>“assets_precompile”, “cmd”=>[“su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile’”]}
be04c3477dffeff3e9d650532d0037ba735ea41638aa9ca959ec26160930ee08
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated! I’m reluctant to do a ./launcher rebuild web_only at the mo as I’m concerned I’ll break my site.

And yes, I removed DiscoTOC but it didn’t make any difference - the error just fell onto another TC (whichever is the most recently installed).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that another topic said that means out of memory.

That’s the downside of trying to Bootstrap while the other container is running.

Check swap? Increase ram? Do a rebuild instead of a bootstrap while the old container is running.

6 Likes

Thanks Jay! I’ll beef up the server and have another go. I did suspect it was related to trying the fancy bootstrap / keep the container running / etc for the first time rather than my theme components!!!

1 Like

Yup, that fixed it - just needed more breathing room.

Thanks @pfaffman, you rock!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.