Unable to rebuild, 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' failed

I have a discourse installation, installed with standard install steps. For the first time, I tried modifying app.yml to update SMTP settings, and then I ran ./launcher rebuild app and it fails with:

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 521 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile'"]}
13cae1b12cdf902161a5a7e297f2142a6379e6b22b1c6b1d0722d25636f5341c
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
==================== END REBUILD LOG ====================

Iā€™m on Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-57-generic x86_64), with Discourse version 2.4.0.beta8 (e7bd288d7b).

I ran ./discourse-doctor, but that contains the same error with no further information.

Any ideas?

How do I further debug this? Should I manually run cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' to see what happens?

This is my first time using Discourse. It is a vanilla Discourse installation with no plugins, and I simply tried to update SMTP settings in app.yml then rebuild as mentioned in How to modify email settings.

1 Like

We need you to scroll up and check for earlier error messages.

3 Likes

Ah ok, looks like this is the cause:

rake aborted!
SocketError: Failed to open TCP connection to geolite.maxmind.com:443 (getaddrinfo: No address associated with hostname)
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:411:in `safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:362:in `safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:131:in `get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:51:in `download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:30:in `mmdb_download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:220:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:219:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:219:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

Caused by:
SocketError: getaddrinfo: No address associated with hostname
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:411:in `safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:362:in `safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:131:in `get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:51:in `download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:30:in `mmdb_download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:220:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:219:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:219:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
Tasks: TOP => assets:precompile
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Please check Upgrade / Rebuilds Fail

1 Like