Unable to start discourse due to rubygems rate limiting

(Shane Dobson) #1

I ran some standard updates on the Ubuntu machine I have hosting my discourse instance. Now I cannot start discourse again.

I’m not a docker user, but the instructions I inherited from a previous staff member who set this up are to run:

./launcher stop app
./launcher rebuild data
./launcher rebuild app
./launcher start app

But when I run

./launcher rebuild app

It takes forever and finally fails. The reason for the failure seems to be below:

URGENT: could not connect to server: No route to host
         Is the server running on host "172.17.0.1" and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 5432

Can anyone please help with this? I’ve been messing around for hours now.

Constantly hitting rubygems rate limits
(Régis Hanol) #2

We need more information in order to help you. Can you start by providing us with the full log of the rebuild operation?

(Shane Dobson) #3

The full log? I’ve just discovered it is over 32K lines. Do you actually want it all?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

There shouldn’t be 32K lines in the rebuild log. What Régis is looking for the the console after from after you run ./launcher rebuild app. Share everything that appears in the console after that command.

(Shane Dobson) #5

Thanks for clarifying, but that’s actually what I am talking about. I run the rebuild command, and after that there are 32K lines that appear in the console, right up to the failure notification.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

Wow. In that case please do upload the output to something like pastebin or gist, and share the link here.

(Shane Dobson) #7

OK, I’ve pasted here: gist:6464801c6cde865ab60e3f10dba21e05 · GitHub

(Régis Hanol) #8

Thanks.

Here is something concerning

Bundler::HTTPError: Net::HTTPTooManyRequests: <html>
<head><title>429 Too Many Requests</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>429 Too Many Requests</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>

You are hitting the rate limit for rubygems.org.

(Shane Dobson) #9

Thanks for spotting that. I have no idea what I can do about that though - I’m just running the commands that are meant to work with Discourse. I can’t even find any results for rubygem rate limits.

Every time we have had to do anything that involved restarting this server, Discourse breaks and I have to spend hours or days trying to fix it. It doesn’t seem to really work.

(Régis Hanol) #10

I’m afraid there’s nothing you can do about that short of waiting a bit before re-issuing your rebuild command or contacting rubygems.

(Shane Dobson) #11

Do you mean that the rebuild could work if I try it later on? It seems to me that the problem is that the rebuild job itself involves too many requests and is therefore impossible. I can see others have stumbled across this recently too.

(Régis Hanol) #12

Pretty sure it will unless your IP has been blacklisted. The only way to know for certain is to contact rubygems.org.

From what I’ve seen, it only happens when using a VPS (where you don’t know what the other/previous tenants are doing) and/or when you rebuild your Discourse several times in a row in a short period of time.

FYI: we’ve never been rate limited, even when we deploy all our customers.

(Jay Pfaffman) #13

When I’ve contacted them I’ve gotten no response.

I can’t make rhyme or reason of the cause when I’ve been rate limited. It also doesn’t make sense that you guys have never been rate limited when I have on several occasions. Stranger still, sometimes I see the rate limit errors, but the build appears to complete successfully.

But yes, @shaneoh, it should work eventually.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #14

You have a multicontainer setup and is starting app before data. Try the other way around.

(Shane Dobson) #15

Would you mind telling me the exact series of commands you would recommend running? I’ve just tried this and get the same issue:

./launcher stop data
  ./launcher stop app
  ./launcher start data
  ./launcher start app
  ./launcher rebuild app

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #16
./launcher start data
# wait 10 seconds
./launcher start app

(Shane Dobson) #17

Yeah, general feedback online seems the same, nobody gets a response.

I’ve just restarted the server and made sure it was assigned a new IP address. On the first attempt I got the same issue. This rate limit thing doesn’t seem to be very logical. As it’s a brand new attempt, I still have to suspect something about the way discourse is attempting to do this is breaking things, but I don’t know enough about how it works to know for sure.

(Shane Dobson) #18

The result there was the same as it’s been all when the rebuild fails. It seems fine but the URL shows a bad gateway.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #19

Enter the container /launcher enter app and tail the logs tail -f /var/www/discourse/log/* and try to find why.

How many times did you use the rebuild command? Running it multiple times in quick sucession will 100% put you on RubyGems rate limit.

(Jay Pfaffman) #20

That’s probably a good sign. If you reload about . . . now, it’ll probably be up and running.