Understandability of notification UI

From what I’ve seen, some of my users don’t really understand what notifications mean. For example, seeing this:

They don’t know that means that it’s a like and not a reply. They don’t know that @ means “you were mentioned”.

And there’s one more thing that even I (that forum’s admin) don’t understand: .
What does this :tennis: :large_blue_circle: mean?

I think there’s a lot to improve in the notification UI. Imho Facebook is a good example here. Their notification messages are very clear. Imho StackExchange notification system is ok, too.

While you are correct that it is a little confusing for users (that’s the trouble with Icons…they are easy to misinterpret) using Facebook as an example is a BAD idea - FB has one of the worst UI and user experiences on the entire internet. It’s an example of what you DON’T want to do…

3 Likes

Still, I don’t think it would take that much work to at least give the “circles” a “tooltip” of some sort.

Granted, many would miss reading even that - if they are already missing the “notifications of @ name mentions, replies to your posts and topics, messages, etc” for the speech bubble, would it really help much having similar for the circles too? But it might be something to consider

*Note, there is already a title “tooltip” for the icons in the list (but not the links)
What more could be done that isn’t already being done?

1 Like

They’ll figure it out. The glyphs map directly to the actions.

Imagine the first time you saw an iPad. Or a computer mouse. Did you figure it out?

Remember users get a welcome PM as soon as they sign up, so that also teaches them about notifications.

1 Like

@mentions are fairly standard these days, too. Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram all use @ to mention people, so it’s fairly intuitive that that notification would mean that.

Point of order: It’s not intuitive; it’s consistent with other web services.

3 Likes

I guess learned-intuitive rather than naturally so. Is there a word for that?