Unlock Discourse plugin: Lock topics behind a "crypto" paywall

Hi all,

We developed an Unlock protocol plugin for Discourse. It let you lock topics behind a “crypto” paywall.

People have to buy your NFT with their crypto wallet (Mestamask, Wallet connect) to access topics. You can configure it with any ERC20 on Ethereum, xDai, Polygon…Since last week, you can also unlock with credit card payment.

ezgif-3-eda9d8c4547d

You can test it on the unlock protocol community forum : https://unlock.community, for example this topic is locked : https://unlock.community/t/introducing-the-dao/68 (on xDai).

You could use the same lock to also give access your users to Discord private channels with https://swordybot.com/.

Plugin repo : GitHub - discourse/discourse-unlock
Documentation : Unlock Discourse plugin - 🧙‍♂️ Developers - Unlock

Don’t hesitate if you have any questions.

31 Likes

Interesting, I wonder if there is a financial vehicle that could be engineered in the Ethereum (or other crypto engines) for repeat transactions. Would be kind of cool to offer a subscription service where you opt to pay X every month.

9 Likes

Can we setup unlock for comment? Only comment first or comment second not topic title and content main?
And, can we add charge by dollar via Visa or paypal not Crypto?

1 Like

Hello @sam,

It is possible with unlock protcol : Recurring Memberships | Unlock: The Web's new business model

But for the moment it’s not implanted in the plugin. Will add it in the next version.

7 Likes

Not sure to understand that part.

Yes, it’s also possible to pay with credit card : Credit Card Support | Unlock: The Web's new business model

2 Likes

Mean Unlock comment but topic unstill display

2 Likes

Hi Sam! I am Julien, the founder of Unlock Protocol!

Indeed, it is possible like @kam44 said.

The core mechanism is to use the “approval” mechanism that the ERC20 contracts provide.
The core idea is to approve a 3rd party contract, called the “purchaser” whose single job is to purchase memberships on behalf of users when they are either expired (or soon to be expired). So basically a membership can only be “renewed” when it is either nearly expired, or fully expired.

One of the challenges that we’re trying to solve is to find who will trigger the transaction on that purchaser contract. Rigth now, the approach is to make the purchase “pay back” the person triggering the transaction so that this covers the gas fees. I think we can leverage the “flashbots” who have been doing arbitrage to do that!

It is definitely one of the things we’re trying to work on!

3 Likes

Amazing, I find some of the financial vehicles smart contracts have on offer to be fascinating. I think this could be extremely powerful as a way of funding the right community.

In particular we already have Discourse Subscriptions so perhaps a PR to allow for a “Unlock” mode vs “Stripe” may be an interesting path to take.

8 Likes

@kam44
any news about “unlock comments” ?

2 Likes

Any Update
This plugin seems interesting

Great Job Man !

1 Like

I created 2 lock contracts on unlock dashboard
A. lock for the users who have tokens (1000 < amount < 5000)
B. lock for the users who have more than 5000 tokens

For A, I’d like to add them to group A on discourse
For B, I’d like to add them to group B on discourse

Currently Unlock plugin supports only one lock contract on discourse. Is there any trick to achieve the goal?

1 Like

Did you ever figure out a solution to use more than one contract?

I’m trying to download the Unlock Protocol plugin. I’m getting the following pages/errors. Please let me know how I can resolve this:

1 Like

Hello and welcome @thesidsridhar :slightly_smiling_face:

As it’s a non-official plugin, I’ve moved your post over to the Unlock plugin topic as I think that would be a better place to get support from people who know more about it. :+1:

1 Like

In fact, the plugin is now managed by the Discourse team, as you can see there: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-unlock

cc @zogstrip

5 Likes

Oh, my apologies. :pray: I missed that swop over. Thanks for pointing it out. :+1:

4 Likes

Ho no, no worries, we didn’t mention it anywhere.

2 Likes

Hi @zogstrip I wanted to check in again about the above. How do I resolve the HasCustomFields:NotPreloadedError?

3 Likes

I’m afraid support for this plugin is a little thin on the ground due to the holiday season, but (FWIW) I’ve just installed it on my test site and am also getting locked out with an ‘Oops - Error 500’ with the same error logged:

HasCustomFields::NotPreloadedError (Attempted to access the non preloaded custom field 'unlock-lock' on the 'Category' class. This is disallowed to prevent N+1 queries.)
app/models/concerns/has_custom_fields.rb:175:in `[]'
(eval):37:in `_fast_attributes'
(eval):6:in `_fast_attributes'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:637:in `preload_current_user_data'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:437:in `preload_json'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:413:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:413:in `with_resolved_locale'
lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:71:in `call'
lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:368:in `call'
config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:23:in `call'
config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:31:in `call'
lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:23:in `call'
lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:209:in `call'

Backtrace

app/models/concerns/has_custom_fields.rb:175:in `[]'
plugins/discourse-unlock/plugin.rb:63:in `block (2 levels) in activate!'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:375:in `include?'
(eval):37:in `_fast_attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:456:in `attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:480:in `_serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:359:in `serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:347:in `as_json'
plugins/chat/app/serializers/chat_channel_serializer.rb:51:in `chatable'
(eval):6:in `_fast_attributes'

I think there’s a conflict with the Chat plugin somehow. If I disable Chat through the rails console I can access my site as normal (including the /admin/plugins/discourse-unlock page).

6 Likes

Awesome! How would I disable chat via the rails console?

2 Likes