User Fields - weird signup behavior

Hello, since the 3.3.0+3 (stable) update I see the new Custom Fields settings for “optional”, “signup” and “for all users”, but it does not completely work: when a user logins in they see the “you need to provide information” field (but not the missing field). When they click save they get the profile (and no field missing marked). They then regularly (always when going to /) get the same reminder. There is however none of the fields marked as “all users”. Some of the fields (especially one which is absent for some older users) is “on signup” and “not edit” and “not display”.

My understanding is, that it should not cause this-reasking.

I clicked around and changed many of the field attributes back and forth, it didnt improve the situation, but it somehow felt it did not always take immediate action. Do I maybe need to run a rebuild-job?

The “unhelpful” message looks like this:

Whats interesting is that when I click on “Save” i get my standard profile page shown but without any of the user fields (not the missing ones and not the ones actually marked as editable).

If an admin fills out the missing fields (even though they are marked as sign-up), the user can see their full profile again.

This is similar to this reported bug - User Field Requirement (2), though I think the fix for it should have been included in the latest stable release. :thinking: Perhaps there is more going on than we thought. Let me see what I can find out.

2 Likes

thanks! let me know if you need commands executed or logs.

I am not sure if the problem was directly after the update or only after i started to customize those fields with the new options.

btw would be nice to have optional “signup only” or “all user” fields, i.e. they are asked once but can be empty.

not sure if it is relevant, but some of the users might have been signed up with the “invite” or “automatically accept” and “add to grroup by email” function. But most of them might be older than the user field in question (as it is empty for them).

Do you have an update on this? ITs a bit cumbersome to fill all the empty comments and using optional is not an option (sic) since it wont show on the signup screen for new members.

1 Like

Any news here - in case this drags on I will have to do some mass changes to all users to make sure they dnt complain one after another…

1 Like

Let me give someone a nudge and see if I can find out anything. :+1:

2 Likes

FWIW I did get a repro for this, but when I deleted the user field and attempted a second go the new fields showed up on the page as expected.

Something may be going wonky with the ‘editable after sign up’ default for existing fields? :thinking:

Okay, I think I was reproing the wrong way round. I’ve had a cup of tea and a regroup.

I now have a user field set as On signup & not editable afterwards:

This causes my existing test user to bork out in a similar way:

1 Like

Hello, @ecki! :wave:

Thanks for the report. I’ll look into this.

I suspect this is the key. There may be an assumption that all users with an account have at some point “signed up”, which might be causing issues.

Will get back to you once I’ve done some more investigating.

2 Likes

Ah yes, they are not editable in my case as well. It’s an initial signup justification and a customer number (which should only be changeable upon request with admin review).

I could make them editable if there where some easy change tracking - come to think of it

I found what is probably the root cause of this, and fixed it in a PR that has already been merged:

1 Like

Cool, I just got proposed the 3.3.1 stable branch update, but seems to not be included yet. Is there an easy way to test out such commits without changing the update channel?