User Invitation/Poking a user to a topic is now live!

Thanks for this! It makes this feature way more useful :smiley:

But a couple of thing (Iā€™m really sorry about this), I canā€™t seem to invite entire groups (my site uses SSO and Iā€™m an admin, not sure if thats important), even on non-private topics groups are not appearing in the search/username box. Nor can I enter more than one username into the invite box.

Also for group invites, could group selectability be defined by the groups alias settings. i.e. If Iā€™m a member for GroupA, and GroupAā€™s alias setting is ā€œOnly group members, moderators and adminsā€ or similar, then I can always invite that group, regardless of my trust level / admin status.

Groups are not supported for invites at this time. Would be kind of risky.

Why are group invites more risky than group @mentions?

Both create a notification and an email, if anything invites are less risky because there rate limited unlike @mentions.

Awesome!

Shouldnā€™t it now be quite easy to also implement the ā€œcreate onlyā€ security setting?

Simply allow users to create a new topic in the restricted category and be implicitly invited to the topic they just createdā€¦

Because a TL2 user could expose a private topic to the world by inviting the trust_level_0 group.

2 Likes

Please read the thread. This feature does not grant permissions.

Hum. Youā€™re right, sorry. I totally misinterpreted the change to lib/guardian.rb.

Too bad, this also invalidates the idea regarding create-only categories. :frowning:

Sorry to poke you like this @codinghorror, but I was hoping to get your opinion on this:

Group mentions needs to be redone before weā€™d attempt group invites.

2 Likes

So, I run a closed discourseā€¦ I normally tell people Iā€™m going to invite them, then would visit my preferences and invite them.

The invitations they get from within a topic are WAY more interesting than normal. very coolā€¦

It makes me want this feature implemented even more thoughā€¦ but I find my invites are being accepted more frequently, and I need to visit my invites page less often in general. AND they are already activated, which is double prizes.

Thanks again for this method of inviting people.

4 Likes

I like this feature because it allows you to privately invite someone to a topic, without calling them out publicly and awkwardly forcing them to respond.

One idea although probably not trivial to implement - being able to email reply-to the invite to respond to the topic. Reduces friction even more, especially since youā€™re probably inviting someone that isnā€™t that engaged with the Discourse to begin with.

2 Likes