Users are confused about daily like limits

I’m not a fan of admitting I was wrong, but I will because I was.

After seeing @riking’s post I went back and re-read the code (something I fully admit I should have done sooner) and the way I was testing would have still hit the limiter. It would also explain why some people weren’t getting the Out of Love badge on the NaNo forums who thought they should have.

9 Likes

then I gladly withdrawn my request to change it! However, some clarity in the documentation would be great. I’ll add something to the badge.

3 Likes

I’m open to clarifying whatever we can clarify, I’m just not sure where to do it? Suggestions?

2 Likes

Maybe a Reset countdown clock on profile?

3 Likes

You could do a theme component that counts down to 00:00 UTC, sure…

6 Likes

I think it’s actually the rate limit itself that’s causing the confusion. When they hit it, they are asuming they have run out of likes, which is not what’s happening, based on what this thread has taught me.

Can we improve the error messaging there to educate on why that’s happening?

4 Likes

Can you screenshot the current message?

3 Likes

I’ll see what I can find. I’ve never seen it myself, but I’ll do some investigation (unless @ClawdiaWolf has the specific text since they’ve experienced it more than I have.)

3 Likes

This is one of those “really should have checked it sooner” things, because the string is the rate_limiter.by_type.create_like text string. If I’d ever searched in the customize section I’d have seen it, just never thought of it.

This is the most recent screenshot from when I was testing things:

1 Like

Ok but that is the daily limit. Is there another error?

2 Likes

That’s the only message I’ve personally seen, and it’s the only one I’ve seen anyone else on the NaNo forums report seeing.

3 Likes

OK can you trigger it here by pressing the button rapidly? Or is there some other issue? I’m very confused.

1 Like

Speaking as a November NaNo participant last year, that is what I had seen. NaNo posts are very likeable, usually :slight_smile:

Experientially though, if it said please wait 1 hour, after the hour I would be able to like maybe once or twice more, then it would pop up the message with a new time, say 4 hours for example. Is that the spam limiter triggering rather than like limit?

I have seen a similar behaviour pattern on other Discourse sites…

5 Likes

I’m extremely confused over what this topic is about at this point. Extremely.

3 Likes

I’ve been hitting the limits consistently (in pursuit of the Higher Love badge) at one of the forums I’m active in and the warnings for hitting your daily like limit are indistinguishable from the warning for hitting the like spam rate limit. Here are the messages I received for April 20 (Times are in UTC+8).

At 14:40, I received this message:

I received another message at 22:41:

And another message at 22:50:

I’m assuming the first message was for hitting the rate limit while the third one was for the daily limit. Had I not received the middle message, I don’t think I would have been able to tell the difference. Also confused since if the likes reset at UTC 00:00 (UTC+8 08:00), the third message doesn’t make sense (or do like spam limiters have timeouts that long?). I was trust level 1 at the time by the way, if that helps.

6 Likes

I believe the topic of the topic is that our error messages get extremely confusing around the like limit and nobody quite knows what’s going on.

3 Likes

I … violently… disagree that this is “extremely confusing”.

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 14 hours before trying again.

What other English words could be used here to make this clear? It seems abundantly clear to me what is happening.

Thanks for sharing the love! You only have a few likes left for today.

The above is an additonal message, a convenience, an early warning which :point_up_2: indicates you are close to running out of likes for the day so maybe it’s time prioritize the ones you have left rather than scarfing them all down like candy?

All I can think of is

• you used the limit of 50 (or whatever the limit is, it varies by trust level) likes
  • you waited 1 hour for UTC 00:00 when daily like limits reset
  • obviously this will vary depending on your location and when you use up all the likes. You could use them up 23 hours before UTC 00:00 or you could use 'em all up 1 hour before UTC 00:00
  • you then used 50 likes again within one hour, at which point you are waiting for the next UTC 00:00 day for things to reset again
1 Like

I’m just a bystander who has never hit the “like limit” in my life, but larger issue here seems to be the entire concept of a limit is confusing — seems reasonable for a user to get mixed messages here: likes are good and useful mechanism that you should use, but…not too much?!

From what I’ve seen, some users never use likes at all and some enjoy liking as much stuff as possible. Since it’s never really going to be the case that all users use “likes” in a consistent way, what negative consequences really arise from letting users like to their hearts content? If it’s server constraints or actual spam indicator issue, maybe there’s a simple way in the messaging of indicating why the limit exists so it feels less arbitrary.

1 Like

Buried in the lede is the way they messed with trust levels. I expect the really active likers would have gotten to TL3 which has a huge daily like increase of 2×. See Understanding Discourse Trust Levels for details.

So this is, in some sense, a self-inflicted wound.

2 Likes

I’ve read that post many times and it never occurred to me daily like limit modifiers are presented in a balanced way and don’t mess with them.

Given they were messed with, and produces an error message that looks the same shape as another error message (I’m proposing none of us can expect the messages to be read, given the activity that triggers them), it seems like the solve is for that instance to change those error messages to explain more for their community, which is awesomely large and have it’s own culture of interaction.

@ClawdiaWolf and @Heather_Dudley, I propose strategic use of weird emoji. :alien: :rainbow: :dolls:

3 Likes