Users unable to add others to a personal message

(Clay Heaton) #1

Our regular non-admin/non-mod users are unable to add other users to a personal message. I’ve impersonated, changed themes, poked through settings… in none of the cases will clicking the “Add or Remove …” button at the top of a PM thread do anything at all when impersonating. This is across browsers and without any type of ad blocking.

Any idea what’s going on? I didn’t see a setting to restrict adding others to PMs…

(Robert McIntosh) #2

Have you disabled personal messages for non-admins?

There is an admin setting: enable personal messages which would disable this across the board, except for Staff

Is this just modifying existing PM topics? Are they able to create new PMs?

(Clay Heaton) #3

32%20PM

They are able to create new personal messages and include whomever they like. They are not, however, able to add new users to personal messages, or remove them, after the initial creation.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Hey @clay, users will need to be TL2 in order to add other users to an existing PM. Adding a user to a PM is considered an invite, which is a TL2 privilege.

The fact that the button appears and does nothing is a bug. Further, I can’t seem to remove myself from a PM as a non-admin user. That also seems like a bug.

@awesomerobot, could this be related to your PM participant layout work?

(Kris) #5

This might be functionality we need to clarify. You still need a button as TL1 because you should be able to remove yourself from a message (but you can’t add or remove others)…

Maybe we should show something else other than the add/remove button for users under TL2… just show the [x] next to your own username (and no add/remove button)?

I was able to remove myself from a PM as a non-admin TL1 in my local dev instance… so I’m not seeing that issue.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

It’s possible this regressed a bit when we did the revamp of the UI here with @joffreyjaffeux. I believe on the target forum in this specific case they have disabled all trust level progression (beyond TL1).

(Clay Heaton) #7

Thanks for the information, everybody.

That’s correct, but armed with the info provided above, we changed the settings to cap everybody at TL2. While it doesn’t fix the UI issues, etc. mentioned by @jomaxro, it addresses our immediate usability issue. Thanks!