Using Discourse AI as a Discobot

Is there a way to use discobot as the AI bot?

We already use discobot (renamed) for lots of tasks on the site and he has become a character on our forum that people enjoy interacting with, I’d love to also be able to give him the ability to reply to posts and become really clever with AI!

Also, with the Google Search, could I set it so he can only search my site, so can answer questions specific to my website?

2 Likes

Yes you can make a persona @mentionable and give it a user (see: Discourse AI Persona Guide )

And you can allow everyone to @mention it, the downside though is costs, AI is not cheap, would you like to give this to everyone on the forum? TL2 and above?

Google integration can be set up to be restricted if you define the API key correctly.

1 Like

For example (to show this off): @random_picker_bot pick me a random color please.

3 Likes

Certainly! I’d be happy to pick a random color for you, Sam. Let’s use the Random Picker to make this selection truly random and colorful!

Random Picker

Picking from ["red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet,pink,purple,turquoise,magenta,cyan,lavender,maroon,gold,silver,bronze,aqua,emerald,ruby"], picked: ["cyan"]

Ah, the color gods have spoken, and they’ve chosen a cool customer! :art:

Cyan is your randomly selected color!

It’s like the ocean and the sky had a baby, and that baby grew up to be the hippest shade in town. Whether you’re painting your walls, picking out a new outfit, or just trying to sound fancy at your next art gallery visit, cyan’s got your back.

Remember, with great color comes great responsibility. Use your newfound cyan powers wisely! :wink:

4 Likes

@random_picker_bot pick me a lurid bright color.

1 Like

Only specific users have access here , this is configurable per persona

2 Likes

Will it be possible though to have my discobot behave the same as before but with added abilities for certain members?

So everyone can still message him for the tutorial or to roll a dice, but then certain members also get the AI bot? Or is it one or the other?

It is one or the other, mixing this up is going to have too many downsides.

1 Like

Will the user tutorial be made with AI as well? Or is that still controlled by Admins?

If it isn’t controlled by AI, I suggest going for giving the AI persona to the bot. If you were to ask it to roll a dice with a range, I’m sure the AI could still do it.

That’s a shame. I don’t want to have loads of bots on the site, just one that does everything. There’s no way to do the tutorial with the AI bot?

Can you afford budget to run say, claude 3 haiku for all your users? If so a persona could be crafted that does much of what discobot does, and teaches people about Discourse.

I don’t know how much it costs to be honest. We have about 60-70 active users.

You can always play with it and set a 10-20 dollar budget and see how your go.

1 Like

The following guide might help when thinking about costs Estimating costs of using LLMs for Discourse AI