Using s3: "backup with uploads" settings

I just followed the instructions to configure automatic backups and set up file and image uploads to s3

I am a little confused about the following setting:
backup with uploads include uploads in scheduled backups. Disabling this will only backup the database.

So if I have separate buckets for upload and backup, should I check this or not? I wasn’t sure if this would somehow try to store my uploads in the backup bucket…?

By default backups do not include uploads stored on S3 as it’s usually a waste of bandwidth a disk space. You need to enable the hidden include_s3_uploads_in_backups setting in order to change this behavior.

But if I understand your question correctly you don’t want your backups to contain uploads stored on S3, so you don’t have to change any settings.

6 Likes

Thanks! I wonder if it’s worth putting an explanatory note on that setting to that effect?

What explanatory note are you proposing? Can you write it out?

Hi
I have the same question, and I confirm it is not so obvious.
Now in 2023, the setting “backup with uploads” is selected by default.

I have two buckets on S3 for backups and uploads, and I wonder what happen if I restore or migrate a backup with that setting activated or not.
If not activated, will all my upload files correctly match with the uploads on S3 ?
If activated, will my uploads be overwrited or duplicate on S3 ?

Maybe a bit of answer in this file :
line 351 "# when the backup is restored to a site with s3 uploads, it will upload the items to the bucket" https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/main/script/bulk_import/discourse_merger.rb

Would you advice to always select “backup with uploads” as it a more resilient way if any problem occur ?

1 Like

The hidden site setting include_s3_uploads_in_backups is still disabled by default.

I believe the setting backup with uploads will only include local uploads if you have it enabled but don’t have include_s3_uploads_in_backups enabled as well.