WARNING: Discourse requires 1GB RAM

Hi all!

I’ve been trying to install Discourse, but without success so far.

I have a VPS with 1 GB ram and a 2gb swap file. Whenever I run ./discourse-setup I get the following error. (I’ve done a few clean installs on this VPS and also tried with 5b and 10gb swap files)

https://i.imgur.com/kn7ZsMw.png

As you can see in the screenshots there’s enough space free in the swap file.

I’ve searched the forums but all I get is either “the setup should make ask to make a swap file itself” or “you can make a swap file and then run the installation again”

I hope anyone has a solution.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Your free + used is 1000MB, a gigabyte is 1024MB. Where is this hosted?

3 Likes

You have less than 1000mb of ram. The message is correct. You can either get more ram, edit discourse-setup to skip the test, or create a yml file by hand.

3 Likes

I’ve met same error like you.
I manually modified discourse-setup and change the limit from 990 to a smaller number.
And it works… for now.

I believe the limit was already moved down just a little, because some providers provide just a little less than 1G when you get a machine with a nominal 1G. (Perhaps see Fatal error when trying to start Docker (Oracle VM))

What’s your provider? What does
free -m --si
show?

(In any case, if you have enough swap+RAM then the forum will function. If you have too little RAM the forum may run slower and upgrades may take longer. 3G of swap+RAM is enough for a small forum, and it’s what I use.)

1 Like

In my case, it is an Amazon EC2 server.
Here’s the result of free -m --si

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:             986         594          75          14         317         209
Swap:           4294         811        3483
1 Like

Thanks - I think that justifies an adjustment from 990 to something a little less - perhaps 980. The intention is surely to support commodity offerings with a nominal 1G, and although there might be a hard limit, it’s much smaller than that, so a small adjustment downward would put no-one in jeopardy.

1 Like