Ways to improve the 'Temporary Hidden' Flagged Post Feature

Hello-me again!

Couple things that can be used to improve flags since on our forums, we have issues with users liking and replying to hidden posts. Here are a few things that can be done to improve the hidden flag:

• Disable the option to Like that post-there are instances where users will like a hidden post.
  • Disable the option to Reply to the hidden post-we have had users reply to flagged posts, resulting in that post getting flagged.
  • Require Staff to review edits made to a flagged post before the edit goes live
  • Give Staff an option when handling the flag wether or not include the “View hidden content” button

Those are a few suggestions from me to make them better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good suggestions.

I would also add that when the first post in a topic is automatically hidden, the entire topic should be automatically de-listed and closed. This is especially important if the topic was removed due to “Inappropriate” flags, as the entire topic is probably offensive or inflammatory, which is always the sort of topic that attracts the most attention and probably has already led to an argument or other followup inappropriate comments up until the time that the first post got hidden. Even if the content of the first post has been hidden, the title appearing in the /latest still attracts attention and leads to further inappropriate posts. And if the topic isn’t closed then the participants that already have the link and got involved in the inappropriate topic before the OP was hidden will keep arguing or making additional inappropriate posts if the topic isn’t closed.

1 Like

These 2 sitr settings maybe of interest.

Change these to moderator/admin

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I believe that this setting only applies to the flagged post itself, whereas the rest of the topic is still visible in the /latest list as are all of the followup posts. So I believe we need a setting for the entire topic to be locked and un-listed when the post that gets hidden is the first post in the topic.

2 Likes

I’d have to test on a deleted topic with a reg user account. With deleted posts and hidden/edited posts; it makes it so only staff can see…I made this change on my site as some users were flagging a post as they could see what was originally posted and some replying to deleted posts.

1 Like