Moderator flags as inappropriate should hide post

(Paula Kreuzer) #1

Just like with spam posts inappropriate posts should be hidden immediately if a moderator flags it.
If I flag a post as inappropriate, but don’t take further actions yet it’s because I think the post has no place in our forum, but want to discuss with the other moderators what actions should be taken (ask poster to rewrite post, delete post and send official warning or delete account immediately).
If the post stays visible until the other moderators are online and made up their minds people will respond to it and often resort to inappropriate language themselves. If worst comes to worst you may have to punish valuable, usually calm-headed users of your community to not be accused of favoritism.

(Mittineague) #2

If you Flag as “Something else” and unlisted the topic it should give you some time to discuss with other moderators.

You could also delete the post, discuss, and then undelete it if deemed appropriate.

(Paula Kreuzer) #3

Sure, that works if we are talking about a first post in a topic.

Yes, I guess that would be a viable workaround, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a flag.
Usually the offender gets notified when their post is flagged and they get the chance to edit their post and re-writing the offensive part to make the post reappear. They won’t have that chance if the post is deleted.

PS: Also deleting a flagged post resolves the flags…

(Mittineague) #4

I guess that leaves Flagging and Take Action?

That would take care of the “hiding” and give the member the opportunity to edit the post into something acceptable.

Does your forum have a restricted “moderator” category where Moderators can post “What should we do about FoulMouth’s post?” topics to discuss what should be done?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

But this is already possible; bring up flag and choose “Take Action”

(Paula Kreuzer) #6

If I take action the flag is no longer active though.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Right but the focus is “hide immediately”, as you stated. You’re free to start a staff topic discussing the post as well. If the focus is not “hide immediately” then flag and wait would work better.

(Paula Kreuzer) #8

What I want is to hide the post immediately (so people don’t get offended; to avoid a heated discussion that will result in many more inappropriate posts; to keep forum users from getting angry and improve the general climate in the forum and community) while keeping the flag active (some moderators regularly have 100+ open notifications, but open flags stand out over e.g. staff category discussions).
I don’t see the reason why spam posts should be treated any different than offensive posts when flagged by a moderator.