Webhook certificate verify failed

Hi, I’ve just installed discourse-patreon version 2.0 and I can’t get the webhooks to work.

When I go here:

https://www.patreon.com/portal/registration/register-webhooks

And I test a webhook, I receive the following error:

Test Response
---
Error: _HTTPSConnectionPool(host='forum.nourishbalancethrive.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /patreon/webhook (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),))

I’m hosting on Digital Ocean using a certificate installed on a load balancer.

Any idea why the certificate verify failed error?

Thank you!

Chances are it’s because your server isn’t presenting the intermediate CA certificate chain. Otherwise, you’d have to ask Patreon about that, it’s a problem being reported by their systems, not Discourse. It’s unlikely that Digicert’s root CA isn’t trusted by them, it’s a fairly common and well-regarded trust anchor.

7 Likes

I think that was it! Here’s what I did:

1. Deleted the load balancer in Digital Ocean.
  2. Deleted the certificate.
  3. Created the certificate again this time making sure to add the intermediate certificate.
  4. Created a new load balancer.
  5. Added the new certificate to the load balancer.
  6. Added the old droplet to the new load balancer.

As far as I can tell, you can’t update either the load balancer or the certificate so deletion/creation is required.

Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful response. I never contacted Patreon but something tells me I’d be unlikely to receive this level of support over there.

2 Likes