Weird sort order when search topics/posts with "in:first" and "order:latest" combination

When I search for topics and posts, with the Sort by Latest Post option, I see that the order is not at all sorted by latest post.

MASS MERGE RECORDINGS and MERGE HELPOR 2 are the last updated topics (19h), and they should have come first in the list.

They actually come first when using Sort by Relevance.

I will try to reproduce on meta or test.

I think it’s because you search in:first. The post you get as a result is not 19h old, it seems to be from 2017.
But I understand your problem. If searching in:first there is no difference between sort by latest post and sort by latest topic.

https://meta.discourse.org/search?q=%40Discourse%20%23howto%20in%3Afirst%20order%3Alatest
Is an example here at meta.
The result shown last (Configuring Facebook login for Discourse) has newer latest posts than the first result

2 Likes

Thank you @Moin, you found the cause!
I have updated the topic title.
Using the default Sort by Relevance seems like a nice workaround, anyway.

I don’t think this is a bug? If you use the in:first filter by latest it will give you the results of the first post in date order. This seems to be working as expected?

1 Like

As it’s a topic search result list with the latest option, I think we could expect it to be ordered with recently updated topic on top.

Even if we use in:first to narrow down the results drastically.

Maybe it would be a feature instead of a bug?

Oh but yes, I can use by relevanceto get what I want, I forgot that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.