What do I do with "Suspect" users that aren't?

Continuing the discussion from Discourse Version 1.2:

So I have 2 users appearing in this new “Suspect Users” list, but both of them are legit. What should I do?

Nothing. They should eventually get removed from that list once they make TL 1 or TL 2 (I think)…

It is purely a list of people you should “look into”, it isn’t going to inhibit them in any way.

3 Likes

One of these is a TL2 & a moderator.

1 Like

Well that’s awkward :smile: Maybe the list can be improved upon then in some way to exclude those who are TL 2 (and it should definitely exclude staff)?

4 Likes

or perhaps it could be changed to let admins/mods dismiss them from the list selectively.

2 Likes

To me, it’d be nice if this list contained some potential actions for those that appear there … suspend user, ignore suspicion, etc.

I’ve had the system user on that list for ever, even tho it’s active, approved, TL4, admin and mod… :laughing:

4 Likes

lol, that’s funny! Don’t trust system, he is one shaddy character! :smile:

I suspect that it’s because I’ve deleted a few of its posts, like the “edit the first post in this topic to customize your FAQ/Guidelines/whatever” spam…

Suspect users have zero (or very near zero) read time but a completed profile. We found on many instances this correlates very highly with spam accounts.

One way to get off the list is to actually read content on the site!

I suppose not including them if they are TL2 or higher is also a good idea…

2 Likes

Granted seems a bit redundant as TL 2 typically requires reading topics… So maybe just excluding staff? I’m not sure how you moderate without reading topics either though…

1 Like

Because sadly you have to be a moderator account for your user-based API key to do certain things (like granting badges, for one). Granted, a proper multi-API key permission-based system that isn’t user-bound would resolve that edge case.

1 Like