What does "responsive design" mean?

I’ve read this on Sitepoint and I check my installation. So from my understanding, Discouse has two themese, one for mobile and one for Desktop, am I understanding it right? and if so, do you have any plans to add responsive design?

There is an option on admin panel for disable the mobile theme. You can add your personal stylesheet responsive theme.

So I don’t think the Discourse team have plans for responsive design in the near future.

2 Likes

The desktop design is responsive, try changing browser width and watch what happens.

The reality is that you can’t be “responsive” down to teeny-tiny iPhone 4 size, though – and there is no concept of hover on a phone, like there is on a desktop.

So this is really a pointless terminology argument about the definition of words.

1 Like

I don’t optimize for iphone 4 size, but for 480px width.If the desktop design is responsive, why there is a need for mobiel theme? Can you please explain Jeff. Thanks.

Can you also point to the Sitepoint topic, as I’d like to get some context to the question.

Yeh, sorry, here’s the discussion. I always built my website with content that adapt to the size of the screen (aka responsive design) for my latest websites. I just don’t understand the need for a separated mobile theme, maybe I am lack of that knowledge, but please help me understand.

I already installed discourse and ready to go, but some things made me think twice whether to continue with it, that’s why I am asking lots of questions, sorry for that.

In a responsive design you can go as far as display: none something, but the markup and data will be there as well.

Using a backend enabled mobile version you can not send the data and markup at all.

5 Likes