What does "responsive design" mean?

(Spooky) #1

I’ve read this on Sitepoint and I check my installation. So from my understanding, Discouse has two themese, one for mobile and one for Desktop, am I understanding it right? and if so, do you have any plans to add responsive design?

(Daniela) #2

There is an option on admin panel for disable the mobile theme. You can add your personal stylesheet responsive theme.

So I don’t think the Discourse team have plans for responsive design in the near future.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

The desktop design is responsive, try changing browser width and watch what happens.

The reality is that you can’t be “responsive” down to teeny-tiny iPhone 4 size, though – and there is no concept of hover on a phone, like there is on a desktop.

So this is really a pointless terminology argument about the definition of words.

(Spooky) #4

I don’t optimize for iphone 4 size, but for 480px width.If the desktop design is responsive, why there is a need for mobiel theme? Can you please explain Jeff. Thanks.

(cpradio) #5

Can you also point to the Sitepoint topic, as I’d like to get some context to the question.

(Spooky) #6

Yeh, sorry, here’s the discussion. I always built my website with content that adapt to the size of the screen (aka responsive design) for my latest websites. I just don’t understand the need for a separated mobile theme, maybe I am lack of that knowledge, but please help me understand.

I already installed discourse and ready to go, but some things made me think twice whether to continue with it, that’s why I am asking lots of questions, sorry for that.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #7

In a responsive design you can go as far as display: none something, but the markup and data will be there as well.

Using a backend enabled mobile version you can not send the data and markup at all.