What email address do you use for your discourse site?

I am debating which email address to use for my discourse site and would like to understand a bit better how this is intended to be used and what others are doing.

The domain of my discourse is eg http://community.foo.org and so it seems sensible to use comunity@foo.org as the email to send all discourse email from. But that email address does not exist already - should it be set up as an alias of another commonly used role mailbox like info@foo.org or foo@foo.org?

I have set up google apps with discourse@foo.org as the mailbox that all mailing lists and forum replies are sent to, which is working correctly. Should this instead be e.g. community@foo.org and be the same address configured for notification emails?

It’s been 4 years, @tobiaseigen, do you have any feedbacks?

3 Likes

I set up my site’s email addresses pretty much as described above and it seems fine. There is an account at community@foo.org which is used to receive all sorts of helpdesk type correspondence, also from mailchimp mailings and the like. I like to handle it all manually.

The one innovation recently has been to stop replying to any messages I receive there directly by email… I now reply to all messages via discourse PM, creating staged users when the user does not exist already in discourse. I include a helpdesk group to make sure appropriate staff have access and can help with follow-up, and use ticket tags.

5 Likes