What happens to members accounts

Hi there

If someone unjoins a community category what happens to their discourse account?

Many thanks in advance
Marie

1 Like

I’m not sure I’m 100% following what you’re asking?

Do you mean when they wish to leave your discourse forum, and the options to delete/anonymise their account?

Or have you got categories set up that are only accessible to certain groups? (that users can then join and leave)

2 Likes

Hi there, many thanks for your response.

I guess it is a bit of both.

We’ll have members that join 1 or more categories that may choose to leave just one of them. But then in future, they may rejoin.

But also, we have members that will no longer be able to access any categories (if they cancel their membership).

How will that affect their Discourse account? What will happen to their posts?

Many thanks
Marie

1 Like

Nothing and nothing. Leaving group/category just means one can’t read and post. Leaving forum and asking anonymizing kills account and changes name to anon-something.

2 Likes

There is no concept of “community category” in Discourse. Rather, Discourse sites have categories with topics and replies within each category. You can limit access to categories by group. If someone leaves or is removed from a group that has access to a category, they lose access to the category. But their contributions to the category remain in place, and nothing happens to their user account.

2 Likes

Apologies for the confusion. Our internal name for the categories is communities, so we will have various community categories. So for example we have a Education and Training Committee, who have an Education and Training Community, but the community networks and asks questions via their Discourse category.

So it sounds like if a member leaves our organisation, they will still have a Discourse account, but we can restrict them from viewing all our discussions in all of our categories?

Many thanks
Marie

2 Likes

That’s correct. Though if all your categories are limited by group and a user is not in any group anymore, then they will have a sad experience when they log in! You may want to also suspend their user accounts, unless you want to create one or more categories they are still allowed to access.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.