What is the difference between "entered" and "read"?

On the users page, what’s the difference between a user “entering” a topic vs “reading” a topic? Is there some count of how long a user is viewing a post?

1 Like

“Entered” is topics entered; “read” is posts read.

(If you can mouse over those headings, there is a tooltip which clarifies this.)

1 Like

That didn’t answer my question. The tooltip simply restates the obvious.

You can enter a topic, but you might not read all of the posts in said topic. So Topics Entered will reflect you opened/entered that topic. Posts read will indicate the number of posts that had that blue dot disappear, meaning you read it.

7 Likes

A good explanation, thanks! The concept is super confusing since nowhere else the phrasing “enter the topic” is used. And it’s also difficult to translate in the languages I know without long paraphrases.

We could change it to “visited”, but that’s already used for whole-site visits.

1 Like

“Opened” maybe…

English oddness - you can “open an email” or “open a message” to read it - but if you “open a topic” you are perhaps creating rather than reading it?

EDIT: “Viewed”? - currently you count “views” of a topic.

5 Likes

Good ideas :beers:

• Opened
  • Viewed

I think Viewed is really strong because you’re right, we do count that as a topic view and everyone intuitively understands you can’t “view” any reply independently of the topic itself…

5 Likes

OK, changed and now consistent with changes elsewhere, we do use “Viewed” in other places to say this, e.g. “topic views”. But still, implicit and unstated in the headers is that one column is about reading topics and the other is about reading replies.

(Well, I guess the tooltip does add the words “replies” and “topics” …)

3 Likes