What would you like to see on your Discourse 2.0 Admin Dashboard?

I’d love to hear more about this @BenLeong

3 Likes

I know that Discourse is able to show where one IP address is being used by more than one member account (eg: alias’s) thanks to the IP lookup button available, which, when clicked on in a members profile, lists all the member names using that IP address.

It would be nice if the admin console could show all the offending membership IDs, coveringvall the memberson the site already in a central “report”, so we don’t have to try and find this alias’s manually on suspicion.

It would be good if we could still have options on that same table to block the alias’s from that same screen.

Ok there’s a good chance that this feature is already “in there” somewhere, and I just haven’t found it yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@HAWK I’ll dig up my notes - it got put on the backburner a couple of weeks ago :slight_smile: Could be worth chatting about this in more detail at Swarm.

4 Likes

Yeah, sounds like a plan. :beers:

YES. ABSOLUTELY. PLEASE.

Yes! As we’re using „rolling release” model, sometimes it’s really confusing to log in after upgrade and find everything changed on the backend :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, I’d love to see some menu tweaks.
Also would love allowing administrators to decide if they can handle welcome messages on their own, but I’ sure that it wont happen.

2 Likes

Not as part of the dashboard project.

I’d love to see these numbers on the dashboard, linking to a filtered member list. This would let us get a handle on how active our community is and who specifically we need to target to bring them back in.

• Number of members who were active in the last 30 days
  • Number of members who were active in the last 90 days
  • Number of members who were active 90 to 180 days ago
  • Dormant members (not active within 180 days)
  • Percentage of members who were active in the last 30 days of total number of members
15 Likes

I like @tobiaseigen idea, the view of how your communities participation is brilliant, what about the ability to customize the dashboard, like a pencil icon on the top to display or hide on what you want visible on the dashboard. Like for say you don’t want the total number of admins and moderators to be displayed, hit the pencil to show options to show or hide it, while in the edit menu, include category names of what’s hidden and shown if you want something to be displayed again

5 Likes

The page loading time of the first page should be much faster.

Actually, I don’t need cold numbers / stats in first place. Charts and maps would be much more interesting. For example an overview of all my users, how much input they give and most important where they came from :slight_smile:

3 Likes

By day/week/month/year:

“Chattiest poster rank”: count of topics/user
“Brevity”: rank of short average posts by user.
“Detail”: rank of long average posts by user.
“Photo happy”: rank of top photo uploaders

1 Like

I’m almost taking it for granted that this will happen. Virtually all dashboards I know have this at least to some extent. It makes sense not just because admins/communities are different but also because communities go through different stages: an admin building a new community from scratch will obviously want different info than an admin of a large established forum.

That said, I guess it still makes sense to make a list of things that can be displayed on the dashboard (or is there no need to select because it is easy to make it so that any element in the /admin route can be put on the dashboard?).

So one thing that would definitely be useful for early stage forums is to have an abbreviated list of the last x (10?) seen users on the dashboard. Maybe just their username and avatar plus their last-seen time. Same thing for the most recently created users.

3 Likes

‘Cohort Analysis’ as @DiscourseMetrics.com described it also looks interesting - it’s not something that I am willing to pay extra for but would probably benefit from if it were in the admin dashboard. Could you guys work something out to get it into discourse?

This came up in a discussion over at feverbee about the metrics I described above, which is about trying to identify the people to target to bring back to the community.

4 Likes

I see that everyone has there own sort of way to customization, but it could be easier to adjust the way the dashboard works, to make it easier for some admins, Not all admins rely on certain parts of the dashboard for their communities. My idea is let this functionality be only changeable by admins, so all their changes are global for moderators. Most of the info they rely on is in the database (their servers) anyway. If they urgently need it they can globally show it to other admins and moderators. What if the communities are private and don’t rely on how many accounts are created, and views, anonymous views, likes, etc, if “login required” and “invite only” site settings are enabled why should these be displayed then.

1 Like

Average time spent in writing a message would also be a nice stat to have.

1 Like

One cool “feature” would be if the dashboard page could be made to load faster. Or is it just me who has to stare at the spinning wheel for 10 seconds or so?

1 Like

I get that most of the time. I may be imagining it, but I think that if I hit “settings” (or anything else) then go back to “admin” the admin page loads almost immediately.

Yes, it’s funny that you say that because I always go from Admin directly to some sub-tab like “Users” and that would load almost instantly. And I too have a vague impression that going directly back to admin might make it show faster, but then again it may be just a false impression because we haven’t been staring at the rotating wheel but actually “done” something…

1 Like

Talking about dashboard load-in times is straying off-topic a bit, but it is related too.

AFAIK, the dashboard pulls in data after some time of cache expiry. For example, a version check, checking for problems, and a lot of database queries.

One approach might be to more aggressively display cached data until explicitly requested. Or maybe have data in collapsed sections that don’t pull up fresh data until the section is expanded. In other words, fresh data on demand.

Personally, I’ve always looked at this as a “only Staff sees this page and they know what to expect” thing and not a critical problem.

I’m on the fence about cohort analysis TBH. It’s incredibly complicated to follow and I think there are simpler ways to track retention (e.g. no of members that have been inactive for 3+ months).

Would you need it to be more granular than that?

Can you tell me what you’d use this info for or why it’s relevant to you?

3 Likes

Here is another idea: based on visual impression from admin/users/list/active there seems to be a rather close relationship between users receiving an email (last emailed) and them showing up on the site (last seen). I think there is some potential in using this to identify users that are “drifting off” and could be retained through the some staff action (if only sending them an appreciative PM).

There are many ways to do this and the best one is probably a matter of some trial and error, but a very simple indicator could be to calculate the difference between last emailed and last seen and to display users on the dashboard where this figure is consistently below average (perhaps after excluding users who have not logged in since a long time anyway).

Perhaps a better strategy would be to compare the users current response time with that users individual average response time (rather than overall average response time) and when it consistently drifts in the wrong direction, display that user on the dashboard.

I’ll leave it to everyone’s imagination how this could be further refined…

1 Like