Some updates on this, it turns out that our profile script used an incorrect
topic_id in the URL which means that we’ve been profiling against a private message page with one post instead of a public topics page with multiple posts. I’ve fixed it in
and the following is the correct benchmark for our topics page:
# Rails 4.2.9
Your Results: (note for timings- percentile is first, duration is second in millisecs)
memorysize: 15.59 GB
processor0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
I noticed an inefficiency in our code base today and managed to recover performance with
About a 22% increase for the 50th percentile. Note that this isn’t Rails 5.1 related, just a performance regression that we’ve been carrying around for some time.
On the Rails 5 front, I’ve basically been adding more benchmarks to RubyBench so that I can use those metrics to work with the Rails team and get us back up to speed.