Whereby Video Meetings

:warning: This theme component is end-of-life and is no longer supported

:discourse2: Summary Whereby Video Meetings allows embedding Whereby video conference calls into Discourse posts.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-whereby
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

On the Whereby side, you need to contact their team in order to be able to use the integration. They need to register your Discourse domain on their system, so when you pass your iframeSource the Discourse domain comes in the Content-Security-Policy: frame-ancestors list. I’m not sure what Whereby tiers have this feature available, so please contact their team and let us know in the replies.

Features

Whereby supports video calls directly from the browser on every modern browser, even the mobile ones, making it very appealing to Discourse users.

Configuration options:

• admins can restrict the composer button only to staff
  • adds a composer toolbar icon (can be limited to staff only in component’s settings)
  • displays a button with a configurable icon and label in posts
  • compatible with Whereby custom subdomains

Screenshots:

Acknowledgements

This component is heavily based on the Jitsi video conference component.

This component was only possible with the help from Caleb of the Whereby team.

30 Likes

Has anyone implemented this component yet? I’d love to hear how it’s going.

1 Like

This is pretty nifty! I’ll have to try this out on a few communities to see how well it works but I love using Whereby so nice to see an integration like this.

1 Like

Don’t know how to make the whereby work on the forum, seeing this error.
Please help.

1 Like

Hi @evens_tailors.0d. It looks like we discontinued this theme component back in November (it’s archived on GitHub), but it looks like we missed updating the info here on Meta. Sorry about that! I’ve now added the end-of-life tag and will add a note to the OP.

Is this something you were already using on your site? Or were you trying it out from scratch?

3 Likes

I was trying it out from scratch.

I did use this in November; it didn’t show this error, but it was not working as expected at that time. So, I had to give up.

On our site, the video call feature is of utmost importance. So, I came back and started going through all the video call plugins available here.

I’ll give Whereby another try. Would you be the contact person if I had any queries related to Whereby integration on Discourse?

It’s still showing the same error with this additional error.

I see, yup. So there are probably more issues here than the pending modal upgrade which is now showing up.

The ‘official’ integration is end-of-life, and we (@team) don’t currently have any plans to bring it back.

That said, please do feel free to post in this topic to see if there are any other community members with interest in resurrecting the theme component.

If you have a budget, another option might be to post the project in marketplace.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding. I look forward to someone having interest in restoring the theme component.

2 Likes