White blank screen after user logging into his account

One of our forum user is getting issue after logging into his account and we have also checked the issue via Impersonate feature, we also faced the same white blank screen, and this happened with him twice, previously the issue was same, then we did an account merge and deleted his previous profile and merged all profile details into the new account, and now the new account seems to have again same blank white screen issue.

Any idea why this is happening?

1 Like

Can you or the user try safe-mode to see if it is a theme or plugin issue?

2 Likes

Already tried safe-mode, it seems only this user account is having blank white screen issue, this is 2nd time we see the same issue to this same user, we have checked user activity log, but there is nothing suspicious.

1 Like

Any idea why this is happening every time with this same user?

Can you do this again and check the browser console for errors?

3 Likes

User account Impersonate with safe mode console errors.

3 Likes

What version of Discourse are you running?

1 Like

Installed 2.7.0.beta1 ( 477538bf2d )

it is server RAM issue , if you have any other CMS/app installed on server ,stop them and check if discourse is working fine or not , if it is working fine upgrade to more memory or delete multiple apps to free memory

you can memory usage in percentage

$ ps -o pid,user,%mem,command ax | sort -b -k3 -r

Whole website is running fine, its just this user having blank white screen issue, the RAM is good 40% in use, it is something else…

Any idea how to solve this? This might happen to other user accounts as well.

My next step would be lookin at the server logs, they might provide a clue.

1 Like

It’s likely a browser extension that’s blocking something from loading.

1 Like

Tried Chrome guest mode, incognito mode, firefox, safari, opera… The result is same for that user account — blank white screen after logged in.

2 Likes

That rules out any browser based issues and you should look at the server logs (/var/discourse/shared/standalone/log) so see what’s breaking when this user logs in.

2 Likes

@bartv Private Message you.

It is sure that no plugin, custom css is breaking that specific user profile, because rest of em are working just fine!

I think there is some database issue, because this is second time this same user faced the same issue, blank white screen, we have already migrated his account in the past to the new one, but due to the user huge activity it would be harsh everytime to give him new profile and the likes reads to flush away.

1 Like

Is that particular user using a very old phone? Maybe an old OS that is deprecated and no longer supported? I had a similar problem with a user using Win7 on her laptop and being unable to login. Just a thought. We also had one user who, while on holiday, decided to use his old Windows Phone (yes, he still had a one. :laughing:) and he got a blank page as well.

That’s helpful, as it definitely rules out a lot of potential client side problems. You should check the server side logs as Bart indicated.

Another possible thing to check is having the user log in via their phone instead of their computer – disable wifi and do it over the cellular networks to rule out any local networking problems.

1 Like

@JimPas We knew about deprecate, so we gave try to all new smartphones with updated OS and also tried win 10 20h1, 20h2, even 7 OS is not an issue, because we have tried all required diagnosis on this user account, but all end up the same — blank white screen

@codinghorror After Impersonating the user account which log to check for error?

I have checked the production log, Ctrl + F the username, but didn’t find anything, if you can have a look at it I can share the file with you.

1 Like

/logs in your web browser when logged in as admin.

1 Like