Who's online crazy load

Hello, I posted my issues here, but I will recopy: Discourse Who's Online

This plugin (at least on our forum) gives the following message. When we turn off the plugin it goes away. Does anyone else have this issue? We have a more than sufficient server to handle the number of active users. Using Lightsail 8 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs, 160 GB SSD Ubuntu

This strikes me as under-powered from a concurrency perspective.

This plugin uses the Presence system which performs a reasonable amount of client messaging on an ongoing basis to maintain a semi-real-time view of who is online.

With that many clients connecting at once you might consider upping the number of CPUs to at least 3 if not 4 cores. I’m not sure I see the point of 8GB with only 2 cores? I believe one rough rule of thumb is 1 core per 2GB. Even my 4GB machines have 3 cores and I’m not even running this demanding plugin.

Memory and apparently disk space look generous, so no issues there!

4 Likes

Thank you! Is there any setting that we can reduce the amount of client messaging. We’re ok with the user status being a few minutes stale.

I’m not the author of the plugin but you might try limiting those who can see it, via settings:

• whos_online_display_public
  • whos_online_display_min_trust_level

to significantly limit who gets told.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.