Why am I getting emails on new replies to watched topics?

My email settings look like this:

I’d assume I would not get any emails unless someone PMed me, but I’m still getting emails for new topic creation and replies.

Is it because I’m “watching” topics? I didn’t think watching topics would affect these global email settings.

Shouldn’t be, since you have disabled

Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic

With these settings you should only get emails for PMs and the weekly digest, contingent on not visiting the site for a week.

Yes, I am still getting emails about new topics and replies, even though I’ve been on the site all day:

Oh wait. Sorry, if you are watching a topic that means you get emailed for all new replies to that topic.

So it’s immune to that setting, considering it only “blocks”:

• replies to you
  • quoting you
  • @name mentions
  • invites

A new reply to a topic you are watching is valid, since it is (probably) not a reply directly to you, but you said hey I am so mega interested in this topic, why don’t you go ahead and notify me about every single reply to it?

If you are watching a category, you’d also have the same phenomenon for every new topic in that category. You previously said hey I am so mega interested in this category, why don’t you go ahead and notify me about every new topic created in it?

(Which reminds me, we probably need an additional category level setting for “notify people just about the new topics, but not any replies”. It’s been requested.)

4 Likes

Do you have another test account maybe?