Why do I see this in upper left of the screen instead of the nice login splash screen?

I have to refresh the page to bring up the nice login screen. Is there a setting to prevent this behavior?

Discourse 3.4.0.beta1-dev
discourse version e7b7886d8390b22ab33615dacffd6cf74ae6e25d

Even after I refresh the page, I sometimes still see this in lower left of the screen.

I don’t recall this behavior in earlier versions than the latest, is this a bug?

Thank you.

It is not the plugins, I disabled all, same issue.

Discourse 3.4.0.beta1-dev
discourse version e7b7886d8390b22ab33615dacffd6cf74ae6e25d

Can you please post a link to your forum or send it to me? that looks odd and I don’t really know the context of that screenshot. also, the title of this topic says “upper left”, but your post says “lower left”. :thinking:

It is a private forum, and it only started in the later releases of discourse.

When it first happens, when one first accesses the login page, it is in the upper left. When one refreshes the page, the splash screen shows up, and more often than not, the upper left login is then at the bottom left.

Can you check your page source so I know what version you are on? Just right click on any discourse page in your site, select View Page Source, or something close to that wording and look to see what is to the right of this:

content="Discourse 3.4.0.beta1-dev -

There should be a long string like: e7b7886d8390b22ab33615dacffd6cf74ae6e25d

Thx

yea I know what the version source is and where it is located. I’m on

Discourse 3.4.0.beta1-dev - version aeaae9babc4166833600a940fe2fb372cd44fd8d

that screenshot you provided doesn’t really look like discourse to me, or at least something in core. That looks like something being fed from another site possibly, perhaps because:

how are the users authenticating? is it through another app or website?

5 Likes

No external site, they log in only via Discourse. Question - Does anyone who codes for Discourse actually look at these topics?

Yes – our entire team have access to these topics and review Meta frequently, as do many of our open source contributors.

I agree with Lilly – that doesn’t look like Discourse. Could you post a larger screenshot with more of the surrounding details?

3 Likes

Worked here worked: version 52a14e06696eb9fa34a0f6d81c5a3024ad1d812d

Now get this most times on login after clearing cache

This is snippet of what is on the screen, and this is all that is on the screen in upper left:

worked: version 52a14e06696eb9fa34a0f6d81c5a3024ad1d812d

I press F5 and I get the actual splash screen and look at bottom left:

If the site is cached, most times it goes to the splash I expect, but the other login is in lower left

If I click on the lower left input for user I see this if I inspect that username box, and the line below the password box if I inspect that:

If I am doing something wrong please let me know if you have an inkling, but I haven’t changed much at all except to update discourse several times as updates became available over the weekend. Same case with my other issue with Group avatars in another topic I created first.

Also, if I inspect the nice login button on the splash, I get the same ?

Opened up more:

So I guess my question is why are these login inputs not hidden?

:face_with_monocle: That hidden form isn’t supposed to be displayed there (hence display: none; in your console screenshot), but it’s being overridden somehow for you.

I can only repro this by knowingly custom hacking the CSS code in the console to display: block on a private instance (but it doesn’t give me unauthorized access to anything, just shows the login fields).

Do you see it in an incognito browser or in private browsing mode?

4 Likes

Same in Incognito in Chrome and InPrivate in Edge

WRONG SEE CORRECTION: If I try to login via those available inputs, it does not log me in but rather repaints the screen and drops me at the splash, without those lower inputs visible.

Same behavior on my iPhone on cell service, so I don’t think it is a computer or network issue.

CORRECTION: If I try to login via those available inputs, it does not log me in but rather repaints the screen and drops me at the splash, WITH those blank lower inputs still visible.

Does it happen in safe mode? As it’s the login screen, you may need to manually append this to your site address - [YourSite]/login?safe_mode=no_themes%2Cno_plugins

I also cannot reproduce this issue. I’m on a slightly more current version - 3.4.0.beta1-dev (32195ed77e)

A couple of basics to help narrow it down - is this a standard install? And what plugins and/or theme components do you have installed?

2 Likes

Getting on a plane, I will have to get back to this later in the week most likely. Thanks.

A quick pic in safe mode from the airport, same result using the full url you sent, I just can’t snip the whole picture in one shot.

Plugins:
AI (enabled), Automation, Data Explorer, Encrypt (enabled), Footnote (enabled), Spoiler Alert (enabled, Zoom

I also tried after disabling all of those, same issue. Bye for now. Thanks

Standard install and was working without issue for some time, only started happening recently.

I use nginx though as proxy

https://meta.discourse.org/t/installing-discourse-behind-reverse-proxy-using-recommended-supported-installation/300191

I can see your site address in the screenshot, so you may want to blur that out and reupload if you’re not intending to share. :+1:

However, I can also see some CSP errors in the console when visiting your site’s login page:

Do you have anything custom that’s trying to do something on that page?

3 Likes

Nothing custom

Thx for pointing that out, I have removed the pics. too much in hurry for plane

Let me check the CSP when I have time, maybe later tonight. THX for that. That looks promising, I hope.

1 Like

curious if anyone has an nginx reverse proxy Content Security Policy defined in nginx.conf, or elsewhere, that does not cause issues like JammyDodger pointed out?

I can play around with this tonight, just trying to get ahead in the interim.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like